Technical Director→ Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Arden Theatre Company seeks an experienced professional to join our dynamic, agile production staff. Reporting directly to the Director of Production, the Technical Director works closely with Designers to realize all scenic design elements, within the constraints of budget and schedule. The Technical Director collaborates with fellow production shop heads to ensure the smooth, day-to-day operation of all production departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement all aspects of the planning, construction, installation, maintenance, and disposal of scenic elements for all Arden productions and special events
- Lead, and participate in, the building of all scenic elements.Setting obtainable build schedules and deadlines
- Oversee and assist in all rigging projects, across all production departments
- Maintain a safe, positive working environment
- Oversee seating reconfigurations in the Arden’s three flexible performance spaces: the 365- seat F. Otto Haas Stage; the 175-seat Arcadia Stage; and the 100-seat Bob and Selma Horan Studio Theatre
- Manage staff – including Assistant Technical Director, Over-hire staff, and Arden Professional Apprentices, investing in their talent and encouraging their growth while setting clear and obtainable goals
- Manage scenic material and labor budgets in conjunction with Director of Production
- Uphold open communication with Designers and fellow production staff members
- Respond to facility maintenance projects as assigned by General Manager or Director of Production
- Participate in weekly and show-specific production meetings
- Maintain scene shop and equipment – including routine maintenance, inventory upkeep, and cleaning
- Must have strong communication skills – both written and verbal
- Have a positive, team-oriented attitude.Actively and positively interacting with all of Arden’s departments, creating a collaborative environment within both the department and the company
- Be proficient in Office 365, Dropbox, Zoom, and other cloud-based applications
- Be someone with initiative, creativity, and a collaborative spirit. Must have the ability to work within a fast-paced, dedicated team—rolling up your sleeves must be a favored tactic.
- Be willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of the dynamic schedule of a theatre, which includes a variety of hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Express a passion for theatre in the Philadelphia cultural community with a genuine interest in becoming a driver of Arden’s mission and vision.
- At least 5 years professional Technical Direction experience
- A broad-based knowledge of professional theatre producing practices.Both formal, informal, and cross-disciplinary experiences will be considered
- Advanced skills and techniques in theatrical construction, wood and metal fabrication, and stage rigging
- Strong drafting skillset in both AutoCad and Vectorworks
- Experience producing theatre in a flexible “black box” theatre space preferred
- This position splits time between office and scene shop environments
- Indoor environments, some with low light and confined spaces
- Stairs and ladders
- Must be able to lift and move 50 pounds
- Must be able to safely operate standard power tools, both stationary and portable, as expected to be found in a typical theatrical scene shop
- Must be comfortable with heights at or above 24 feet
This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation for this position is $59,000 – $63,000 year
Arden Theatre Company provides Medical and Disability Insurance, Flexible Savings Plan, 403(b) Defined Contribution Plan, and paid vacation, personal, and holiday leave.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: communication, director, management, performing arts, technical director, and technical theatre. States: Pennsylvania.