Premier Arts→ Elkhart, Indiana, United States
The Resident Technical Director, a member of Premier Arts full-time professional staff, is responsible for the technical aspects of Premier Arts productions and special events. Working with the assistance of staff and volunteers, duties include, but are not limited to: set design and construction of Premier Arts Main Stage, Studio and Academy Productions; assisting guest directors, lighting, and sound designers; maintaining the technical shop area and equipment; recruiting, training and utilizing technical volunteers; providing general support of the overall production quality of Premier Arts: and assisting in general maintenance of the facilities.
The Resident Designer/Technical Director is responsible for the performance of the following duties, as well as additional duties that may arise in response to changing needs of Premier Arts.
• Serve as Scenic Designer for all Premier Arts productions.
• Serve as Set Builder for Premier Arts Production. Create construction drawings that translate set design into workable plans for volunteers.
• Recruit, train, and schedule volunteers in all areas of production related to set construction, scenic design, lighting, painting, props, and run crew.
• Assist in the creation of production budgets with Artistic Director. Monitor production expenses to comply with budget. Make recommendations to Artistic Director and Director of Operations for equipment purchases and stage improvements.
• Work collaboratively with volunteers, guest artists and other staff members.
• Attend and participate in all design and production meetings for current production. Present set design and discuss all technical aspects and special set requirements at first production meetings.
• Assist Lighting Designers with light hang, design and projection use as needed. Attend light hang.
• Assist guest Sound Designers with sound set-up as needed.
• Prepare rehearsal hall for rehearsals. Assure readiness of the stage/set for production rehearsals to transfer onto the stage when scheduled, with particular concern for actor/crew/production personnel safety, in all areas.
• Attend all technical rehearsals for Premier Arts Productions.
• Review production notes applicable to the stage/set/backstage areas and resolve issues as needed.
• Monitor and perform necessary repairs to the set and audience areas of the theater during performances. Strike set and revert to stock those materials/items which can be reused at the end of productions.
• Order all production related supplies and equipment that are not directly administered by other staff personnel, and keep backstage areas supplied and stocked.
• Inspect and manage the safety of all shop and deck equipment. Maintain organization of shop, backstage area, furniture room, and prop room.
• Other tasks as assigned.
• Ability to recruit, work with, train, inspire, and retain volunteers of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in technical direction
• Strong design, build, and scenic painting skills
• Basic knowledge of audio, video, and lighting equipment setup and operation
• Working knowledge of Google docs and Microsoft Office. Knowledge of CAD design programs preferred
• Self-starter, ability to work independently, and meet deadlines
• Ability to work nights and weekends for technical rehearsals and specific events
• Ability to ascend/descend stairs and stand for extended periods of time
• Ability to move and transport scenery weighing up to 75lbs
Premier Arts is an Equal Employment Opportunity organization. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, or citizenship.
Compensation – Benefits
• salary based on experience. – Health Benefits Available
• Salaried position – 40 hours per week base (additional hours required during tech weeks)
• Paid vacation and sick days
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume with 3 references, and portfolio (if available) to:
Craig Gibson – email@example.com
Founding Executive Artistic Director
410 S. Main Street
Elkhart, IN 46516
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, recruitment, technical director, and Technician. States: Indiana.
Please Share the Technical Director job: