Curatorial Assistant – Drawings and Prints
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for a Curatorial Assistant in its Department of Drawings and Prints to assist the Department’s curatorial staff in all areas of their responsibilities, including research for exhibitions and publications, administrative work in the context of curatorial functions such as acquisitions, exhibitions, collections records, bibliographic and biographical records and files, loans, and general curatorial inquiries.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Assists curators in all facets of exhibition organization, including research on subjects such as artists, periods, styles, etc., on specific works, on locations of works, on photograph sources, etc.; assistance with arranging loans; catalogue preparation; preparation of checklists including compiling, typing, data entry, and data management; coordinating and scheduling work to be done within the Museum and without in such areas as conservation, photography, public information, matting and framing, construction, lighting, etc.
- Assists with the preparation and installation of wall labels.
- Performs work in relation to care of the collection and expedites arrangements for custodial, registration, and preparation work as required by the curators in the maintenance of the collection in gallery, study and storage areas.
- Conducts daily inspection of the works on view in temporary exhibitions and assists with follow-up arrangements, if necessary in the event of damage, deterioration, etc. Answers inquiries and conducts some gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
- Researches and catalogues the Museum Collection under senior staff supervision and answers related inquiries from the public and scholars.
- Performs any other duties reasonably related to the functions described above.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in art history required with a particular expertise/exposure to art from the early Modern period (late 19th/early 20th century).
- Familiarity with a works on paper (prints and drawings).
- Reading knowledge and verbal fluency or near-fluency in German strongly preferred.
- Prior curatorial experience required.
- Superior research and writing skills required.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Superior communication skills and diplomacy.
- Proficiency with TMS, MS Word, Excel and other standard office procedures and equipment.
- Fully vaccinated with a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and/or the World Health Organization authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a qualified disability or sincerely held religious belief or other legal basis).
Reports to: Senior Curatorial titles
To apply, please visit MoMA Jobs.
Applicants should submit a resume and a statement of interest.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement:
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at the Museum, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, unemployment status, familial status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to the extent required by applicable law, credit history, or any other protected category as established by applicable law, including the New York City Human Rights Law (“NYCHRL”).
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, curator, curatorial, MOMA, and museum. States: New York.
Please Share the Curatorial Assistant – Drawings and Prints job: