Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation→ New York, New York, United States
Salary | Seasonal
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (AAADT) is seeking a highly motivated and personable Stage Manager for a minimum of 43 guaranteed weeks. This position reports directly to the General Manager and works closely with AAADT Artistic Staff, Dancers, and Crew. The ideal candidate must have a comprehensive knowledge and background in dance stage management. The Stage Manager for AAADT is responsible for supporting the production and stage management departments during rehearsals and performances, including documentation organization, calling of repertory ballets, and video archiving with AAADT on all domestic and international tours. Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Stage Managers are required to hold union membership in AGMA (American Guild of Musical Artists).
Start Date: July 1, 2023
- Stage Management of all productions, rehearsals, and performances, including domestic and international tours, and other performances, development and outreach events as assigned
- Learn current repertory and be able to call all performances
- Review venue technical specifications during contract approval process with AAADT Technical Director
- Maintain and distribute daily dancers’ schedule with Artistic Staff
- Distribution of schedules, casting, and other information per Artistic Staff
- Maintain production archives for each production, including ballet information, casting, cue sheets, and other production paperwork
- Collaborate with Company Management and Production Department to complete administrative work such as payroll, documents, filing, and communications as needed
- Maintain good working relationship with Artistic Staff
- Manage AAADT audition process
- Supervise Assistant Stage Manager for AAADT
- Possess complete understanding and knowledge of Collective Bargaining Agreement between AAADT and AGMA (CBA)
- Create and maintain accurate ballet information and cue sheets
- Monitor rehearsal times, attendance, and dancer sign-in sheets
- Create and distribute performance reports (with running times, injuries, etc.) and venue reports.
- Studio set-up for rehearsals – spike marks, rehearsal props, etc.
- Manage AAADT video archives
- Ensure a safe and secure performance environment
- Other job duties as required. This job description does not completely cover the extensive scope of duties and responsibilities required of the Stage Manager. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may be adjusted as needed.
- Must have a valid passport
- Several months annually of touring throughout North America
- Several weeks annually of touring Internationally
- Travel schedule is variable
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Stage Management or equivalent experience
- 3 to 5 years stage management experience including calling ballets, general stagecraft, and safe working procedures
- 3 to 5 years prior touring experience
- Knowledge of dance terminology and methods
- Experience and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working with union stagehands, specifically IATSE and AGMA
- Ability to move or lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time
- Computer skills: Mac OS X, Windows OS, MS Office, Zoom, Microsoft Teams
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills executed efficiently and with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, and ability to work with diplomacy and tact while remaining calm in stressful situations
- Ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships within multicultural and diverse environments
- Ability to take initiatives, multi-task, collaborate and work graciously in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt to a wide range of venues and union environments maintaining the highest production standards
- Must have proof of COVID-19 vaccination plus one booster
Competitive salary determined within AGMA CBA – minimum of $2,330.06 per week. Benefits include AGMA health/dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, savings on transit/parking, vacation pay and sick time
To apply for this position, click on the apply link and upload one file (accepted formats include .doc, .docx, .txt, or .pdf) that contains the following items.
Apply online: www.alvinailey.org/stage-manager
Applications will not be considered without submission of these required items:
- Cover letter detailing interest in this position
- Contact information for three references
No phone calls please.
Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation
New York, New York, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: communication, manager, performing arts, stage, and stage manager. States: New York.
Please Share the Stage Manager job: