SPOLETO FESTIVAL USA – STAGE MANAGER
Reports to: Varies
Anticipated Start Date: Between May 2nd and May 16th
# of Weeks: ~4-8 weeks
Compensation: minimum $600 per week
Housing: Shared or single room dorm provided
Travel: Airfare or stipend provided
The Stage Manager (SM) is the chief liaison between artists, production staff, and technical departments for each production in their assigned venue. The SM is responsible for coordinating a variety of logistics for Festival produced work (opera’s, orchestra and choir concerts, chamber music), presented work (touring company productions), and special projects.
It’s important to note that this is an adaptive position that can change based on the needs of each production throughout the festival.
The SM reports to the Venue Manager (VM) and Production Stage Manager (PSM) when applicable. The SM should be comfortable either leading or working alongside the stage management staff of any given production in their assigned venue. The SM may also supervise stage management apprentices brought into their venue or touring production staff.
The SM is an integral part of the technical and operations team. While specific responsibilities may vary depending on production assignment, the SM will oversee all production-related activity in their venue and act as a point of contact between the VM, venue technical departments, artists, and touring production staff.
- Review the venue tech specs and any “How To” documents to understand how the venue works.
- Review and have a cursory understanding of plots and paperwork.
- Assess riders for each show loading into their assigned venue.
- Coordinate schedules and rehearsals for each production. Set up rehearsal room/space as required.
- Maintain and distribute paperwork for each production including contact sheets, schedules, rehearsal reports, production meeting notes, performance reports, etc.
- Attend Festival meetings with various departments, production meetings with each show in the venue, and load-in meetings with venue technical staff and VM.
- Prepare scripts, scores, and other necessary materials for the artistic team, cast, and necessary crew.
- Communicate with Company Management and Artist Services for artistic team and artists’ transportation and hospitality needs.
- Create an inventory of necessary supplies (spike tape, glow tape, gaff tape, first aid, tape measures, binders, writing utensils, craft services, etc.) and submit purchasing requests to the production office.
- Work with VM to obtain chairs, tables, music stands, and lighting as needed.
- Work with stage management team to coordinate rehearsal and performance responsibilities (blocking, entrance/exit tracking, props & costume tracking, show calling, deck track, etc.).
- Work with Wardrobe to coordinate fittings.
- Monitor and report on health and safety of cast.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Strong background in stage managing across all arts disciplines: theatre, music, dance, opera, etc.
- Working knowledge of sound, light, and video technology.
- Experienced in cloud-based scheduling software, Propared preferred.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on the ability to synthesize information clearly and in a timely fashion.
- Ability to work long days, nights, and weekends with a positive attitude.
- Must be comfortable and able to work in the following conditions: low light or no light environments, catwalks, climbing ladders, confined spaces, standing for long periods of time.
About Spoleto Festival USA:
For 17 days and nights each spring, Spoleto Festival USA fills Charleston, South Carolina’s historic theaters, churches, and outdoor spaces with performances by renowned artists as well as emerging performers in opera; theater; dance; and chamber, symphonic, choral, and jazz music. Now approaching its 46th season in 2022, Spoleto Festival USA is internationally recognized as America’s premier performing arts festival.
The Festival’s mission is to present programs of the highest artistic caliber while maintaining a dedication to young artists, a commitment to all forms of the performing arts, a passion for contemporary innovation, and an enthusiasm for providing unusual performance opportunities for established artists.
The Festival is proud to provide young performers the opportunity to work with accomplished artists, conductors, directors, designers, and performers. Each season, the Festival employs more than 500 full-time, part-time, and seasonal staffers, including 80 musicians for the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra and 60 apprentices in arts administration and production.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Spoleto Festival USA is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity in hiring. Equity is central to our culture, mission, and who we are as an arts organization. Spoleto Festival USA does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership, parental status, military status, or any other non-merit factor.
COVID Vaccination Requirement:
Spoleto Festival USA requires all staff and participants to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to accepting an offer of employment. Applicants acknowledge that they are fully vaccinated and are willing to: provide proof of vaccination upon request, maintain vaccination as recommended by public health authorities, and submit to testing and other health protocols as may be required now or in the future. Continued employment is conditional on these requirements.
Please email cover letter, resume, and list of 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “STAGE MANAGER”.
Applications must be received by January 31, 2022 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Contract. Job Tags: Festivals, manager, stage, and theatre. States: South Carolina.
Please Share the Stage Manager job: