Part-Time Library Page
Library Page (multiple positions)
Do you love books and love helping people?
The New York Public Library has been an essential provider of free books, information, ideas and education for all New Yorkers for more than 100 years.
As a Library Page at The New York Public Library you will do that and much more.
A Page position is meant to give you knowledge about what it means to work within a library system.
You will have access to a wealth of knowledge and experience which will allow you to decide if the library is where you want to begin your career.
We are looking for candidates that demonstrate a strong work ethic, are reliable and possess excellent written and verbal communications skills.
You will be expected to be an ambassador for the library, so a friendly demeanor goes a long way.
Under the direction of a Page supervisor, the Library Page:
- Projects a positive and courteous attitude to the public by providing exceptional customer service.
- Shelves and arranges books, CDs, and other library materials in order alphabetically and numerically.
- Answers in-person inquiries, helps patrons locate needed materials and refers patrons to the appropriate place or person for assistance.
- Assists patrons with basic computer, internet and audio/visual equipment usage.
- Locates and prepares library materials requested by patrons.
- Assists staff with checking materials for damage and removing them from the shelves.
- Helps set up public spaces for events and programs.
- Performs other related tasks as needed
Required Education & Experience
- Current enrollment in a degree program at an accredited school.
- Proper employment certificate for minors under 18 as required by NYS law.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently sort and arrange items in alphanumeric order.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow detailed instruction in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse patronage.
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated reliability and professionalism.
- Basic computer and basic technology skills such as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Applications
- Ability to troubleshoot basic computer and printer issues preferred.
- Experience with eReaders and library technologies preferred.
- Ability to speak foreign languages preferred.
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
• Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues.
• Be Resourceful in solving problems.
• Be Curious in all aspects of your work.
Work Environment: Public service library
Physical Duties: Moderate lifting required (up to 25 lbs), Pushing book trucks
How to Apply
Job Categories: Library. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: assistant, communication, culture, library, and NYPL. States: New York.
Please Share the Library Page job: