ArtYard’s complex of art exhibition spaces, artist residencies, and state-of-the-art theater bring provocative art, performance, and creative mischief to a small town at the Delaware River’s edge in Frenchtown, New Jersey. ArtYard’s mission is to be an incubator for creative expression and a catalyst for collaborations that reveal the transformational power of art.
As ArtYard continues to build on the momentum of its first six years, the organization is seeking a Managing Director to oversee its finances, facilities, and human resources. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Managing Director is responsible for ArtYard’s financial systems, including budget planning and monitoring, accounting supervision, rental and artist contracts, fiscal compliance, and reporting to the Board, IRS, and State of New Jersey. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic leader to join a strong, creative team committed to fostering transformational experiences both internally and externally and contribute to our long-term direction.
The Managing Director manages human resources for seven full-time employees — and also supervises two full- and one part-time direct report in addition to contractors. They work closely with the Executive Director and senior management to develop and implement ArtYard’s strategic plan and ensures that the focus remains on the organization’s mission and supports the culture that makes ArtYard unique. The Managing Director initiates a timely annual staff review process and works with the Executive Director to plan an annual staff retreat.
The Managing Director continually evaluates best industry practices regarding internal operating systems and needed HR and other resources, with an eye toward both future needs and budget realities.
Finance and Budgeting
The Managing Director creates and reviews the monthly, quarterly, and annual ArtYard financial reporting materials and metrics for the Executive Director on a monthly basis and for the Board of Directors twice a year, or more often, as needed. The Managing Director works closely with the leaders of all departments to develop and monitor budgets. The Managing Director oversees all accounting functions and manages day-to-day oversight of banking and investment accounts, liaising with ArtYard’s investment firm, and providing data for quarterly investment reports as well as attending quarterly investment meetings.
The Managing Director is responsible for developing the financial report for the bi-annual Board of Directors agenda and data package. The Managing Director also makes relevant presentations at the meeting.
The ideal candidate will not only be able to reconcile financial activities but should also be skilled at capturing key data and processes in order to demonstrate the relationship between ArtYard’s goals and resulting financial needs. In addition, the Managing Director oversees insurance, development activities (e.g., fundraising and grant applications), membership programs and execution of contracts.
The Managing Director supervises one staff member in the accounting department, one part-time controller, one part-time groundskeeper and one full-time manager of facilities. The Managing Director liaises with lawyers, architects, rental tenants and vendors, while making sure the construction company responsible for the new building honors all warrantees and addresses any outstanding issues.
Competitive candidates must be willing to pitch in at irregular hours for festivals and special events. The Managing Director is invited to attend performances, educational programs, and art openings, and partake in many opportunities for communal connection.
The Managing Director will have a minimum of four years working in finance and management. The successful candidate will have experience in running an operationally effective organization with multiple functional areas. Nonprofit arts experience is a plus, as is cultural competency in the arts.
Specific requirements include:
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting
- Experience with legal compliance and budget development
- Organization development and human resources management experience
- Proven effectiveness managing others and working with a diverse team, many of whom are part-time
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to the Managing Director and Board
- Success in seeing beyond the numbers and identifying trends and new possibilities
- Bachelor’s degree
- Information Technology (IT) literacy
- A fluid, can-do approach to solving new challenges
- Ability to multitask while maintaining vigilant attention to details
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills
- Outstanding communications skills, written and oral
- Demonstrated resilience, resourcefulness, positivity and good judgment
- Hands-on, leads by example, willing to do whatever needs to be done
- Integrity/ethics beyond reproach
- Commitment to ArtYard’s mission: ArtYard is an incubator for creative expression and a catalyst for collaborations that reveal the transformational power of art
- Commitment to ArtYard’s playful, inventive, resourceful, collaborative culture
The salary for this full-time role is $90,000 to $130,000, commensurate with experience. ArtYard offers a competitive compensation package that includes 80 percent employer-paid health insurance, 11 paid holidays, a Safe Harbor retirement plan, and a generous Paid Time Off (PTO) policy.
How to Apply
ArtYard intentionally strives to create equity, diversity, and inclusion in all recruitment and hiring practices.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter noting the candidate’s interest in ArtYard’s mission and programs and a brief statement of the candidate’s qualifications for the position
- Three references; at least two of the references must be employment related
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and we encourage candidates to submit applications by December 9, 2022. This search will remain open until the position is filled.
Email materials in one PDF to email@example.com with the words “Managing Director” in the subject line.
For more information about ArtYard and this position, please visit www.artyard.org.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts management, culture, director, exhibition, finance, and management. States: New Jersey.
Please Share the Managing Director job: