Lead Art Handler, Art Services→ San Francisco, California, United States
• Position: Lead Art Handler, Art Services
• Status: Full-time | Non-Exempt | Hourly
• Compensation Group: Experienced
• Compensation Range: $35.00 – $42.00
• Reports to: Head Art Handler / Director of Field Services
• Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:30pm (with availability for 8am starts and 6:30pm ends)
Minnesota Street Project Art Services, founded & headquartered in San Francisco since 2016, is the Bay Area’s fastest growing and most innovative provider of highest quality art storage, installation, packing, crating, transportation, and solutions. Our clients include private collectors, galleries, and institutions who value our emphasis on customer relationships, collection care, and creative problem solving.
As part of the Minnesota Street Project and affiliated with the Minnesota Street Project Foundation, 100% of our profits are used to support the visual arts ecosystem in the Bay Area.
Minnesota Street Project Art Services is seeking a full-time Lead Art Handler, with at least 3 years’ experience in a leadership position at a museum, gallery, or art shipping organization. The Lead Art Handler will exhibit a friendly and approachable demeanor with all Minnesota Street Project clients, staff, and vendors, acting as a positive ambassador for the Art Services department, as well as the overall Project. This person must value teamwork, collaboration, and community. This person will demonstrate an understanding of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access in the arts and in our daily lives and has cultural flexibility/agility and a commitment to fostering a respectful and inclusive work environment. The candidate must have a desire and ability to work out of town on an as-needed basis, including regular shuttles.
- Enthusiastically and diplomatically lead art handlers in the field.
- Handle, pack, and install artwork at private offices, galleries and residences, as well as in our viewing rooms and galleries; professionally secure and transport artwork, all in accordance with museum standards.
- Assist the registration department with labeling artworks and preforming condition reports, store and track artwork in our warehouse, as well as our vehicles, in accordance with museum standards.
- Look ahead at upcoming jobs on the calendar and ensure that you are familiar and prepared to execute the full scope, or consult with the project manager if there are any uncertainties.
- Ensure strong communication is facilitated throughout the team and that deadlines are continually met.
- Is part of a rotation of handlers that embark on a shuttles and other jobs outside of the bay area that require overnight stays.
- Attend weekly department meetings, as well as occasional company-wide meetings and trainings.
- Keep vehicles and warehouse consistently clean and useable, bringing a proactive approach.
- Inventory supplies and administer reuse/recycling policies.
- Assist the crate shop and warehouse as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Available to work 5 consecutive days of the week, between the hours of 8am and 6pm, and occasionally beyond.
Required Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
- Art transportation and shipping knowledge; valid CA license and ability to drive a 16 – 26’ box truck.
- Professional commitment and adaptability; willingness to safely shift directions for the need of the artwork or client, in a moment’s notice.
- Experience, if not expertise, operating material moving equipment (VRCs, forklifts, scissor lifts, material lifts, gantries, and pallet jacks).
- Outstanding time management: ability to quickly identify and safely resolve problems, ensuring projects stay on schedule, whilst keeping the client and team in communication.
- Demonstrate concern for detail, accuracy, and precise execution of work, while managing time and efficiency of individual and team performance.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Work well independently and as a team; gracefully shift between warehouse, client, and office settings, whilst communicating along the way.
- Ability to safely lift 50+ lbs individually and 75+lbs as a team.
- Proficient with iPad and PC Tablets. Comfortable using computer databases.
Please email resume with the subject line “Lead Art Handler – Last Name” to email@example.com.
No calls, please.
Thank you for your interest in Minnesota Street Project
Minnesota Street Project offers a competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, AD&D, Paid Time Off and Parental Leave, Retirement Savings, 401-k Plan, and Pre-Taxed Commuter and Childcare Benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Minnesota Street Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: art handler, arts, gallery, and museum. States: California.