Full-Time General Manager
This position will be responsible for the smooth and efficient business operations of the organization, including personnel and finance. The General Manager reports to the Executive Director/Producer.
Musical Theatre West is an arts leader in the wonderfully diverse and culturally rich community of Long Beach in Southern California. Since MTW’s founding in 1952, as a volunteer based organization to our current status as a leading professional, award-winning regional theatre with national recognition, MTW has been a champion of introducing broader audiences to professional musical theatre. We strive to make musical theatre welcoming and available to any individual who wants to participate.
The mission of Musical Theatre West is to enrich the community with Broadway quality productions, preserve musical theatre as a unique American art form, and expose people of all ages and backgrounds to the excitement of musical theatre.
Position and Responsibilities
The General Manager plays a central role in shaping MTW’s unique workplace culture, working closely with the Executive Director/Producer to develop a cohesive vision for value-centric change and challenging and improving institutional practices.
The General Manager is responsible for the overall business, administrative, and operational management of the company.
This includes leadership of fundraising, budgeting, financial management, HR, information systems and institutional marketing.
On the HR side the General Manager supervises the MTW staff, not including production staff and performers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Interview, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing employee work; appraising employee performance.
On the financial side, the position oversees all the fiscal aspects of the organization, including: budgeting and planning.
The General Manager carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with MTW policies and procedures and applicable laws.
The ideal candidate will share the institutional values of equity, diversity and inclusion, having previously demonstrated commitment to those values and will possess understanding and self-awareness of power and privilege.
- Work with Bookkeeper to prepare monthly financial statements and reports.
- Report monthly and annual financial progress against budget.
- Oversee annual audit
- Maintain monthly cash flow and oversee bank account reconciliation.
- Approve all bills for Bookkeeper and oversee and reconcile all credit card expenditures
- Prepare and manage Organizational Budget
- Work with Donor Relations & Special Events Coordinator on budgets and financial reports for funders
- Manage financial reporting systems to ensure that all directors and managers have the information they need to manage their individual budgets
- Provide financial reports to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors and to the full Board
- Build and maintain positive relationships with all non-production employees and serve as conduit for communications within the company
- Model and support the mission and values of MTW
- Work with HR consultant and Executive Director/Producer on hiring and personnel related policies, staff trainings, annual performance reviews, and organizational culture
- Provide onsite support for employees, assisting HR consultant in conflict resolution and mediation options
- Facilitate weekly staff meetings
- Oversee recruiting, training, coaching and retention of staff
- Foster an office culture of teamwork, generous collaboration, clear communication, effective delegation, and mutual support
- Strategize with Executive Director and MTW Board on long-term planning including capital needs and projects
- Manage all large contracts (play licensing, co-productions, commissions, etc.)
- Oversee all contracting with external agents, including Actor’s Equity Association, SDC and insurance agreements, leases, rights/royalty agreements, vendors, etc.
- Work to ensure efficiency and accuracy of primary software programs and databases: Quickbooks & Total Info
- Ensure that the organization has the information, communications, and technology systems that it needs to be effective
You are an ideal candidate if you possess:
- A willingness to embrace and further MTW’s commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
- Have experience in arts administration and/or non-profit accounting- including financial databases and software
- Have excellent project management and time management skills
- Possess the ability to maintain diplomacy, discretion and/or confidentiality when handling sensitive information
- Have the ability to model positive communications and behavior when working with staff and Board members from diverse backgrounds
- Have demonstrated ability to generate earned income and philanthropic support and a passion for organizational development
- A bachelor degree in business, non-profit administration, or related field
- Minimum of either 3 years executive experience in a non-profit arts organization of similar size or 5 years experience as a department head or senior staff of an organization of greater size
- Significant experience interacting with Boards, Volunteers and Funders
- Experience building revenue and philanthropic support, including grant writing
- Management of a development campaign is desired
This position is full-time, exempt and compensation including salary and benefits will be competitive for an organization of comparable size. Musical Theatre West is an equal opportunity employer.
Should include detailed cover letter, resume and three references emailed to: email@example.com by April 15, 2019.Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, fund-raising, human resources, management, manager, marketing, recruitment, and theatre. States: California.
Please Share the General Manager job: