Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company→ Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Executive Director Job Posting
Organization: Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company
Reports to: Board of Trustees
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Salary: $95,000-$115,000 DOE
History and About
Ririe-Woodbury (Rī-rē Woŏd-bûr-ē) Dance Company was founded in 1964 by two visionary Utah women, Joan Woodbury and Shirley Ririe, who were both professors of dance at the University of Utah. Over the years, the Company has grown from its beginning as a local entity into an internationally renowned contemporary dance company, having performed in every state in the United States, as well as in South Africa, Southeast Asia, the Caribbean, the British Isles, and throughout Europe.
Ririe-Woodbury is Utah’s most established institution for contemporary dance. The Company actively embraces and commissions the work of contemporary choreographers, tours worldwide, and develops dynamic education and community outreach programming. Through performance and educational undertakings, the Company pursues its mission to make dance a viable part of everyone’s life—whether it be as creators, performers, dance educators, critics, or as participating audience members.
Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company is looking for an inspiring, passionate, innovative, fun, tenacious, and strategic Executive Director to work in tandem with a professional administrative staff and talented group of dancers to lead the Company into the future. Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director must have a forward-looking and creative vision of the role of contemporary dance, a strong history of management experience (ideally in a performing arts-related organization), and a record of proven success in relationship cultivation and gift solicitation. This results-oriented executive will champion authentic collaboration, equity, and offer focused and trusting oversight to all areas of the Company. Along with the Board of Trustees, they will be responsible for ensuring the long-term growth and sustainability of Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Vision
- Collaborates with administrative staff and dancers to honor the almost 60-year legacy (2023-24) of the Company while articulating an inspiring, innovative artistic vision for the future.
- Communicates Ririe-Woodbury’s unique characteristics and value proposition as a local, regional, and national leader in contemporary dance and dance education.
- Fosters an environment of innovation and strategic thinking while leading long-range planning in partnership with the Board of Trustees and other stakeholders.
- Oversees implementation of vision while ensuring necessary funds, staff, infrastructure, and resources are available to realize goals.
- Establishes processes and metrics for evaluation of success for all aspects of the Company including finances, audience development and retention, and fundraising.
- Coaches and supports a diverse Company consisting of varied life experiences, identities, and backgrounds, and creates a culture of inclusivity.
- Attracts, recruits, and retains talented professionals, inspires the team, and leads from a place of respect and trust.
- Assesses organizational capacity to identify gaps and leads the Company toward implementation of enhanced services, audience development, program expansion, administration, communication, and fundraising,
- Leads with a high level of self-awareness, celebrates successes and embraces failures, and drives the organization’s performance with a culture of continuous improvement.
Fundraising, Communications, and Building Relationships
- Develops a high level of understanding of all existing and potential local, state, and national funding streams.
- Welcomes the opportunity to be the face of the organization and deftly activates meaningful relationships with current and potential donors.
- With the Development Director, expands fundraising capacity of the organization to support long-term sustainability and meet the challenges and opportunities lying ahead for the Company.
- Works in partnership with the Board to identify, solicit, and acquire new sources of funding.
- Inspires donors, partners, and the community to action through impassioned and eloquent storytelling.
- Raises funds to allow operational expenses to keep pace with economic changes.
Audience Development, Program Expansion, and Arts Advocacy
- Along with staff, oversees artistic, education, and outreach initiatives.
- Cultivates and stewards the most precious relationships of Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company and is an engaged, recognized, and respected member of the arts and culture community.
- In partnership with Board and Staff, develops and implements creative program and audience expansion efforts
- Develops strategic partnerships with local, regional, and national organizations to bolster and broaden the reach and viability of the organization.
- Oversee finances, including developing long and short-range financial plans, ensuring sound financial controls are in place, and setting appropriate financial priorities to ensure growth and sustainability.
- Works in partnership with the Board and Staff to develop the budget and manage daily financial operations to ensure optimum utilization of resources and financial positioning for the organization.
- Ensures compliance with state and federal funding requirements, and nonprofit regulations.
Governance & Board Relations
- Taps into past experience working with and/or serving on governing boards and understands how to engage board members in the strategic work of the organization.
- Collaborates with and supports the Board in fulfilling its governance and fiduciary duties including strategic planning, nominating processes, board onboarding and offboarding, and maintaining relationships with long-standing departing board members.
- Reports regularly and transparently to the Board on all Company progress and challenges.
- Advocates for and supports effective board evaluation and training.
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access
- Brings deep personal commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access in all aspects of their work and leadership.
- Seeks to build an organization that is grounded in equity and reflective of the diversity of the Utah community.
- Demonstrates the ability to listen to individuals who have varying life experiences, and to create open and inclusive spaces and platforms for those voices.
- Continuously opens lines of communication with historically underrepresented communities to broaden access to and engagement with Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company.
- Seven+ years of successful leadership and management experience in performing arts organizations with the proven ability to effectively manage and lead in an evolving landscape.
- High sense of responsibility and commitment to the Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company’s mission.
- Demonstrated path of progressive leadership and management experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Ability and passion to fundraise, with a proven track record in major gifts.
- Experience mentoring teams and refining structures and systems to support an organization’s operating results.
- Experience building and managing budgets and making sound financial decisions.
- Ability to serve as an arts and culture champion within the community.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access, and experience engaging with people from diverse backgrounds.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The Executive Director position is full time and Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company is offering a comprehensive compensation package inclusive of salary and benefits. The salary range is $95,000-$115,000 DOE. Other benefits include PTO and paid health insurance. Relocation assistance may be provided.
Pathway Associates has been retained to lead this recruitment effort on behalf of Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications (including a cover letter and resume) should be directed electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with “RW ED” in the subject line.
We are pleased to answer any questions or supply further information as needed. All inquiries or referrals will be held in strict confidence.
EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company is dedicated to pursuing ongoing inclusion across race, gender, culture, spirituality, identity, age, ability, and experience. Dance is a timeless form of human expression and inspiration, and through dance, we are committed to fostering equity, diversity, access, and inclusion for all. The Company stands against racism and continues to engage in meaningful internal dialogue to make measurable changes to our policies, procedures, and programming to meet all of these goals.
Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: dance, development, director, executive director, finance, fund-raising, and recruitment. States: Utah.
Please Share the Executive Director job: