Full-Time Executive Director
Founded in 1977 by David Marquis, Marquis Studios is a multi-disciplinary arts education nonprofit that inspires a passion for learning by bringing the arts into New York City public schools.
Mr. Marquis served as the Executive Director until 2017 and was a dynamic well-loved leader who brought to his work considerable experience as a theater artist of many capacities. On November 12, 2017, David Marquis passed away due to health complications. His work lives on through the students, teachers and parents served by the many programs offered by Marquis Studios. Before his death he requested that the Support Center assist the Board of Directors with this very important executive transition.
One hundred and fifty New York City public schools in all five boroughs are served annually through partnership with Marquis Studios. Students served are predominately low income, and a quarter are students with disabilities, many from District 75 schools. A dedicated administrative staff of 12, a team of approximately 90 Teaching Artists and 20 Teaching Assistants, and a $3.8 million budget make it all possible.
Services provided by Marquis Studios include the following:
- Core curriculum programming consisting of ten-week arts residencies taught by Teaching Artists.
- A full spectrum of arts residencies that encourage student exploration of dance, media, music, theater and visual arts.
- Custom-designed programs to meet the educational goals set by the school.
- Programs that address New York State Learning Standards, both in the arts and academic areas.
- Professional development for classroom teachers to provide arts education techniques and concepts that can be brought back to the classroom.
- Parent/child workshops that help parents understand the connection between arts and academics while providing a fun, hands‐on experience parents and children can share.
The new Marquis Studios administrative offices are in the DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn.
Marquis Studios has retained an Interim Executive Director who has been serving for the period following Mr. Marquis’ passing. Following an extensive organizational assessment, the Board is now ready to actively recruit for the next ongoing leader of the organization. The Board values the history, program quality, and professional relationships forged over the years and would like the next leader to maintain and build upon these aspects of the organization.
The full-time Executive Director reports to the Board and has overall responsibility for the operation and representation of Marquis Studios to its various communities. Duties include advancing the organization’s mission, supervising the administrative staff and 110 Teaching Artists and Assistants, implementing policies, managing financial resources, managing partnerships, and being the ‘face’ of the organization. The Executive Director oversees an annual operating budget of $3.8 million with revenue from government contracts and grants.
- Exercising oversight for all aspects of the organization’s administration and program delivery, policy implementation, quality assurance, and infrastructure
- Serving as the principal representative of Marquis Studios in interactions with all partners, funders, government representatives, and other interested parties
- Inspiring and motivating the Teaching Artist and Assistant team and ensuring the proper balance between independence and agency standards in delivering a unique and valued product
- Earning the respect and trust of public school administrators, school superintendents, and funders during a sensitive time of adjusting to a new leader
- Comfort with promoting the Marquis Studios offerings in a persuasive way that results in ‘win – win’ arrangements for schools, students, and staff
- Overseeing the organization’s financial operations, including analyzing financial statements, preparing and managing the annual budget, monitoring cash flow, and keeping the Board informed of the organization’s financial position
- Preparing operational updates and analytic reports for the Board related to the organization’s programs, finances, and other matters as appropriate
- Participating with the Board in strategic planning and ensuring financial sustainability
The Qualified Candidate:
Marquis Studios seeks an outgoing, confident, responsive person with exceptional communication and relationship building skills. Qualified candidates will have:
- A passion and caring for the mission and purposes of Marquis Studios
- Extensive experience in arts education, public school collaboration, arts curriculum development, mentoring and/or artistic professional development
- Ability to inspire and motivate teams
- An ‘outcomes orientation’; knowing how to effectively capture impact/outcome information and utilize it well in communications
- A minimum of seven years of senior management-level leadership experience
- Professional, highly effective written, verbal, communication and presentation skills
- Proven strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain important relationships with institutions, professionals and artists as well as ‘selling’ what Marquis offers
- Demonstrated success in operational and financial oversight, strategic planning, organizational development and nonprofit governance
- A successful track record of managing finances in a non-profit
- An interest in and ability to explore and develop additional resources that enhance the organization, while honoring its rich history and culture
- Ability to interact effectively with the Board with demonstrated prior experience in working with a Board
- A Master’s Degree in Arts Education, Nonprofit Management, Public Administration, or another relevant field is preferred
Applications will be considered from experienced organizational leaders or senior-level organizational staff members who aspire to be Executive Directors.
Salary and Benefits:
The current annual budget for Executive Director salary and benefits (inclusive) is $130,000 – $160,000. Compensation package details are negotiable based on experience and individual priorities.
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter to: Marquis-Search@supportcenteronline.org
Please be sure to include a cover letter with the following information:
- Description of your interest in the position
- Evidence that your qualifications and experience match the organization’s interests
- Evidence of passion for the mission
- How you learned of the position
Submission deadline is October 31, 2018. Only electronic submissions will be considered. All applications will be treated as confidential.
Marquis Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates.
Travel expenses to interviews and relocation expenses for the new Executive Director will NOT be reimbursed by Marquis Studios.
The executive transition and search is being facilitated by the Executive Search and Transition Management division of Support Center. Questions may be addressed to Don Crocker at firstname.lastname@example.org. Support Center is a capacity building nonprofit organization serving fellow nonprofits and philanthropic organizations.
For more information please visit: www.supportcenteronline.orgJob Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, arts, director, education, executive director, and non-profit. States: New York.
Please Share the Executive Director job: