Director of Development
Alonzo King LINES Ballet→ San Francisco, California, United States
ABOUT ALONZO KING LINES BALLET
Named as a choreographer with “astonishing originality” by the New York Times, Alonzo King has guided Alonzo King LINES Ballet with his unique artistic vision since 1982. The organization has been recognized for its critically-acclaimed performances around the world, its unique musical collaborations, and transformative education programs that nurture creativity, self-discovery, empathy, and risk-taking. LINES Ballet has collaborated with noted composers, musicians and visual artists from around the world to create performances that alter the way we look at ballet today. Its unique artistic vision adheres to the linear, mathematical and geometrical principles of classical ballet.
LINES is at the forefront of artistic innovation – each collaboration, investigating deeply rooted affinities between Western and Eastern classical forms, elemental materials, the natural world, and the human spirit. LINES presents two home seasons in San Francisco – one week in the spring and one in the fall – and maintains a robust national and international touring schedule. The Company has been featured at numerous venerable institutions, including The Kennedy Center, Jacob’s Pillow, Venice Biennale, the Edinburgh International Festival, Montpellier Danse, the Holland Dance Festival, and Theatre Chaillot National de la Danse in Paris, among many others. Additional touring in 23/24 and 24/25 will showcase LINES at numerous prestigious venues throughout the country and in Europe. The Company collaborates with major musical artists, including GRAMMY-winning vocalist Lisa Fischer and Zakir Hussain, and acclaimed visual artists Richard Misrach and RJ Muna. Mr. King has been commissioned by countless dance companies, including American Ballet Theatre, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Frankfurt Ballet, and the National Ballet of Canada. Among his many accolades, Mr. King holds doctorate degrees from The Juilliard School, California Institute of the Arts, and Dominican University. In addition to its rigorous performance schedule, the LINES Dance Center offers hundreds of classes – from youth programs to professional training, and also offers a dual degree BFA program with Dominican University.
LINES is supported by a working and generous board of 20 active members. The annual budget is $6 million and growing. The organization enjoys broad support from donors across the country and has recently been awarded a number of major grants from leading foundations that support artistic excellence, innovation, strategic growth, and a commitment to diversity. The strategic planning process is currently underway with critical input from internal and external stakeholders, including staff, audience, and donors.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Development (DD) is a dynamic, creative, mature, and strategic fundraising professional, responsible for oversight of LINES Ballet’s comprehensive $3 million fundraising program. In this role, the DD will partner closely with the ED, the Board of Directors, and the Development Committee to maximize fundraising across all areas. As a member of the senior leadership team, the DD will also participate in strategic planning, governance, and finance, and will work collaboratively with the marketing department on impactful communication strategies that benefit the organization broadly.
Managing a team of three, the Director of Development will provide the leadership, management, and coordination for individual, institutional, campaign, and planned giving programs, guided by annual Development plans and a departmental budget. Additionally, the DD will serve as the staff liaison to the Development and Gala Committees. The DD will be a hands-on and deeply involved fundraiser and relationship builder who will work in partnership with the ED to develop a pipeline of Major prospects and donors with capacity for increased giving. LINES is a high out-put organization that focuses on results through creative strategy, targeted and clear actions, and deep engagement of board leadership. The DD will have the full support of the ED as a fundraising partner.
The DD in partnership with the ED will grow the fundraising infrastructure to ensure that the organization can respond quickly, effectively, and contextually to short -and long-term financial objectives. The DD will be responsible for the crafting and delivery of a high-touch cultivation, stewardship, and donor recognition program. The DD is comfortable working with stakeholders across the organization and can negotiate successfully with external partners, including vendors, venues, artistic partners, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Raise $3 million in annual support from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies, plus additional major support to fund projects and special initiatives.
- Inspire, retain, and recruit a small and efficient Development team, establishing work plans, respecting work styles, providing necessary training and guidance, and regularly reviewing performance objectives and goals.
- In collaboration with the ED, and in partnership with members of the Development department, the DD will develop comprehensive annual development plans that articulate strategies and actions across all core areas, including: Individual Giving, Board Giving, Foundation, Corporate, and Government support. The plan will include Annual Fund donor segmentation, strategies for major and non-major donor individual giving, strategies for new and renewing foundation funders, plans for stewardship, cultivation, and the annual Gala.
- Develop sophisticated materials that articulate the case for support to be used by staff and volunteer leadership in the solicitation of major annual gifts and campaign gifts;
- Implement a moves management system for major gifts and develop continuous pipeline;
- Supervise and expand an effective prospect research program for individual and institutional funders to broaden the base of support;
- Create annual budget for the Development department and collaborate with ED and Finance Director on the preparation of annual operating plans and long-term financial strategy to support strategic activities;
- Maintain a portfolio of prospects/donors and identify, cultivate, and successfully solicit major prospects and renewing donors;
- With the ED, work collaboratively with the Development Committee to establish protocols and plans for solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship of individual and institutional funders;
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Gala Committee, leveraging the skills and talents of the committee;
- Develop a planned giving program;
- Work closely with the finance department to reconcile cash and pledges;
- In partnership with the Marketing and Education departments, improve systems for sharing data on ticket buyers and students and develop a plan for active and sustained engagement;
- Identify potential board prospects and work with the ED and the Nominating Committee to expand the pool of potential members;
- Pull reports from the database to analyze donor trends and to inform fundraising strategies;
- Manage and oversee appropriate systems for timely execution of donor acknowledgments and fulfillment of donor benefits;
EXPERIENCE & ATTRIBUTES
- At least five years’ experience as a Director of Development, preferably at a performing arts organization;
- Demonstrated track record in crafting Development and revenue plans, including strategies for individual giving, major giving, institutional support, sponsorship, and events;
- Able to incorporate artistic content into nuanced Development strategies and proposals;
- Demonstrated track record in soliciting and securing major gifts of at least $1k;
- Track record in motivating, managing, supervising and supporting Development staff and working collaboratively with marketing and artistic staff;
- Exceptional written and verbal communicator who understands how to align donor passion with programs;
- Experience in planning and executing small- and large-scale events, including galas;
- Understands the use of data to analyze fundraising performance and to inform revenue strategies;
- Experience presenting plans and ideas to a range of stakeholders;
- Experience managing board committees and crafting materials for meetings;
- Experience working within a database, Salesforce a plus;
- Deeply passionate about dance and music and enjoys working inside an organization that isn’t afraid of innovation and artistic risk-taking;
- An avid learner who thrives on continuous learning in a dynamic environment;
- Must be able to attend performances in San Francisco; some travel required on tour to support donor cultivation and stewardship events;
LINES embraces a workforce that reflects the exceptional diversity of the Bay Area and our country. Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, physical and mental disabilities, marital or partner status, pregnancy and military status.
The Company offers generous benefits, including a hybrid work environment, 100% Employer paid health plan, dental and vision coverage, pre-tax commuter benefits, 403(b) retirement plan, generous paid time off, and unlimited free dance classes for full-time employees. LINES Ballet is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Lopez, Director of Human Resources, at Elizabeth.Lopez@linesballet.org
Alonzo King LINES Ballet
San Francisco, California, United States
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: ballet, development, director, finance, fund-raising, management, and performing arts. States: California.
Please Share the Director of Development job: