Part-Time Managing Director
EMERALD CITY MUSIC
Managing Director (Part-Time, 15-18 hrs/week)
Emerald City Music (ECM) is the Pacific Northwest home for eclectic, intimate, and vibrant classical chamber music experiences. Deemed “the beacon for the casual-classical movement” (CityArts), ECM hosts world-renowned musicians in unique concert experiences in Seattle, Olympia, and Bellingham WA as well as an annual concert in New York City, NY.
Emerald City Music is seeking a part-time arts professional to fill the role of Managing Director. This person is detail-oriented, and has proven success in a fast paced, innovative arts organization, and wants to be involved in the core functions of an organization: financial management, bookkeeping, fundraising, and operational tasks. This person is nimble, flexible, communicative, organized, a team player, curious and always wanting to learn.
Founded in 2015, Emerald City Music is a startup nonprofit based in Seattle, Washington, currently preparing to celebrate its fifth anniversary season. The organization produces and tours six chamber music performances annually, with each tour visiting Seattle’s South Lake Union (415 Westlake, a chic contemporary venue with an open bar), Olympia’s Minnaert Center (a 495 seat modern concert hall), a once annual concert at the Bellingham Festival of Music, and an annual concert in New York City.
ECM gained recognition regionally and nationally as a major player in the chamber music scene. Artistic Director Kristin Lee –– a touring violinist awarded the Avery Fisher Career Grant and who is a member of the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center –– is regarded for her innovative programming that both honors the tradition of chamber music while expanding the genre’s boundary past common limits. Emerald City Music made a name for itself beginning in its second season with a national collaborative commission with Grammy-winning composer John Luther Adams, and has continued to press the boundary of chamber music with accolades like a tour of Steve Reich’s iconic and rare Music for 18 Musicians, a pitch-black performance of Georg Haas’s “In the Dark” quartet, and the West Coast debut of the Danish folk group The Dreamers’ Circus.
Emerald City Music operates with a small staff of three employees, alongside a crew of dedicated volunteers and two interns. Over 45 musicians visit our stages each year. ECM values engaged and passionate thinkers who work well in a remote team setting. This position is based in Seattle, but the team is located in Seattle, Olympia, and New York City. Self-starters who are well adjusted to using technology to communicate will thrive on this team.
Managing Director key responsibilities include:
- Oversee and manage the organization’s transactions according to Emerald City Music’s accounting procedures.
- Report to staff and board members regularly using Quickbooks
- Reconcile transactions in the general ledger in accordance with GAAP, and all earned and contributed income with our payment processing platforms.
- Reconcile and report on YTD statements compared with the organization’s board approved budgets.
- Prepare and make bank deposits. Keep a detailed record of deposits.
- Write checks to payees in collaboration with the Executive and Artistic Directors.
Business Planning and Administration
- Prepare contracts with vendors and artists, in partnership with the Executive and Artistic Directors.
- Collaborate on new business planning initiatives and programs
- Serve as an administrative resource to departments and staff as directed
Concert Operations and Logistics
- When live events (in person or online) occur, provide administrative support at the venue, including: helping setup, greet patrons, assist with other tasks as requested.
Fundraising/ Relationship Management
- Develop strategies to reach goals for donations & contributions.
- Recruit sponsors, participants, or volunteers for fundraising events.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Artistic Director and board of directors to identify potential donors and arrange meetings with board members and staff. Assist in donor communications in collaboration with board members and staff.
- Develop or implement fundraising activities, such as annual giving campaigns or direct mail programs.
- Two years or more experience in an Arts Administration or nonprofit accounting position AND/OR a master’s degree in Arts Administration.
- Working knowledge of Quickbooks accounting software
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel
- Familiarity with matching gifts programs in Seattle
- Proven organizational and time management skills
- High accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, and collaborate as a part of a remote team.
- Must demonstrate proactive communication, positivity, and willingness to learn.
- Flexible; meet deadlines; disciplined; energetic; cooperative; collaborative; clear understanding of ECM’s vision and mission
- Candidate must be located in the Greater Seattle Area, and will be expected to work at home with a computer and stable internet connection.
Status: Part time, hourly, 15-18 hours per week
Beginning Date: Hiree can begin immediately
Reports to: Executive Director
Email a cover letter and resume, as well as three professional references to email@example.com with the subject “Managing Director Search”.
Position is open until filled, with interviews to begin July 14, 2020.
Position begins immediately. Candidates will be subject to a background and credit check before hiring.
Emerald City Music is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse, accessible workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. All who meet the qualifications are encouraged to apply. Emerald City Music does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. Must have, or be willing to acquire, authorization to work in the United States.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: director, finance, fund-raising, management, music, non-profit, and performing arts. States: Washington.
Please Share the Managing Director job: