Full-Time Job Executive Director
Jazz Philadelphia’s mission is to leverage the rich legacy and vibrant assets of jazz in Philadelphia and build a strong, cohesive community and a financially sustainable future. The initiative is led by a team of prominent members of the jazz community and related stakeholders.
Jazz Philadelphia is seeking an Executive Director to lead and implement the strategies and programs of the Jazz Philadelphia initiative. The Executive Director will provide both high level strategic thinking and hands on facilitation of the project. (S)he will be a strong, experienced leader who, with the Jazz Philadelphia Leadership Team, will ensure the collective success of this field building effort; serve as a public ambassador for the initiative; and develop and implement all internal and external functions, including program, finance, marketing communications, community engagement, fundraising and data management. The Executive Director will report directly to the Jazz Philadelphia Leadership Team.
• Build the organization’s identity as a respected, neutral convener among a broad spectrum of local stakeholders
• Cultivate excellent working relationships with community leaders in a way that can inspire collective action without formal authority
• With the guidance of the Leadership Team, develop an implementation plan that supports the key strategies determined by the Leadership Team. Develop priorities and coordinate supporting activities of partners.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with community partners, including jazz organizations, arts and culture organizations, city government, companies, foundations, philanthropists, etc.
• Provide direction and support to partner organizations in aligning their work with the goals of Jazz Philadelphia; identify opportunities for program work to support specific goals.
• Coordinate activities with partner organizations to minimize redundancies and to align strategies and actions.
• Act as a neutral arbiter and help resolve disputes or disagreements among partner organizations.
• Help identify and recruit additional cross-sector stakeholders to participate in Jazz Philadelphia’s work.
• Lead the development and implementation of a shared measurement system that will track common outcomes and indicators across the initiative and use results to inform learning and course correction, as necessary; ensure that data is collected, integrated, and communicated effectively across the jazz ecosystem.
Leadership Team Support
• Provide support to the Leadership Team to facilitate its work, including scheduling and organizing meetings, creating agendas, assisting in preparation of meeting materials, etc.
• Provide regular reports on progress against goals and develop and maintain a metrics platform that measures both process and outcome measures.
• Communicate regularly with the Leadership Team to ensure that members always have current information on all aspects of Jazz Philadelphia’s work.
• Identify potential funding sources to support Jazz Philadelphia goals and priorities
• Develop relationships with potential funders and participating in relevant networks.
• Write grant/sponsorship proposals to secure funding.
• Oversee Jazz Philadelphia grant reporting to funders as required.
• Provide support and guidance to partner organizations in aligning resources to the Jazz Philadelphia agenda (e.g., supporting identification of grant opportunities that align to Jazz Philadelphia goals and provide information to support their grant applications, as required.
• Communicate the objectives of Jazz Philadelphia to the community and potential partners and share relevant documents on a regular basis.
• Facilitate communication between Jazz Philadelphia partners by hosting regular conference calls, in-person meetings, or coordinating regular email updates to ensure alignment of activity
• Create yearly summary reports of Jazz Philadelphia’s progress and share them with stakeholders.
• The following duties may be accomplished in coordination with a communications consultant:
o Develop communications materials as Jazz Philadelphia evolves, potentially including summary documents, brochures, FAQs, and other items
o Develop web and social media strategy
o Create a press strategy, including drafting press releases, coordinating with media outlets, etc.
• Direct all daily operations and establish and maintain appropriate record keeping, analysis and measurement systems.
• Ensure that the initiative is compliant with all government regulations and policies that may impact its work and report to these agencies on a timely basis, as required.
• Provide budget recommendations and implement the final budget as determined by the Leadership Team.
• Supervise the Administrative Assistant and any additional staff employed. Conduct annual written evaluations of staff.
• Monitor and report on operational issues, opportunities, and achievements within agreed formats and timelines
• At least seven years of relevant work experience, including at least two years managing a team in a fast-paced nonprofit, social enterprise, or business start-up environment; actual field building experience a plus.
• Experience with jazz music a must.
• Personal presence and outstanding communication and interpersonal skills to inspire confidence and collaboration among a wide range of stakeholder groups.
• Strong strategy and planning skills, including an ability to think strategically on both organizational and systemic levels.
• At least four years of fundraising experience and demonstrated success in cultivating donor and sponsor relationships.
• Strong facilitation and presentation skills with different types of audiences.
• Experience with project management and/or stakeholder management.
• Strong data experience and ability to oversee a shared measurement system.
• Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment; willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities based on the needs of the work.
• Bachelors or advanced degree required.
Compensation for the position is competitive and commensurate with experience.
PLEASE SEND RESUME AND SALARY HISTORY TO:
|• Job Title:||Executive Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Jazz Philadelphia|
|• Location:||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|