Playhouse Theatre Group, Inc.→ West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Playhouse Theatre Group, Inc.
- Position Title: Technical Director
- Reports to: Production Manager
- Oversees: Assistant Technical Director/Master Electrician, Sound Operators, Overhires
Playhouse Theatre Group is looking for a collaborative, friendly, adaptable Technical Director to join its staff.
Playhouse on Park is a 163 seat black box theater in West Hartford, CT. We produce a varied season of work including plays, musicals, dance performances, theatre for young audiences, and occasional one-off events such as stand-up comedy nights, play readings, and small concerts.
The Playhouse on Park Technical Director is responsible for overseeing the technical operations of Playhouse on Park/Playhouse Theatre Group, Inc. This includes lighting, sound, set design and construction, and coordinating necessary maintenance.
The TD may perform or oversee any or all of the following:
- Operate, maintain, and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities
- Along with the Production Manager and ATD/ME, determine the necessary scenic, lighting, sound, projection, and any special technical needs for events and performances produced and presented at the facility, in advance of production dates
- Breaking down scenic plots, overseeing the execution and construction of scenery
- With the ME/ATD, oversee the setup and operation of lighting and sound systems for productions/performances
- Advise Production Manager and guest designers on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for productions and individual shows/events, and oversee the implementation of approved technical designs
- Assist in recruiting, training and assignment of volunteers and paid technical staff for productions and individual shows/event
- Regularly read rehearsal and show reports. Along with the ATD, share “on call” responsibility for fixing technical issues that arise during the run of each production
- Orient any facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitate the use of the technical facilities by the resident staff/designers and others engaged by or renting the facility
- Monitor the condition of scenic, lighting, and sound equipment, arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; perform preventive maintenance on equipment as needed
- Monitor and maintain the theatre’s off-site technical and storage facilities
- Assist with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintain inventory and orders specialized supplies
- Facilitate the ordering, pick up/delivery of rental and/or borrowed equipment
- Assist in planning, scheduling, coordinating and providing technical support for load-in, strike, and show changeovers
- Attend technical week rehearsals and, in order to supervise and assist in the technical; aspects of mounting the show
- Make recommendations to the theatre leadership regarding capital purchases of technical equipment
- Additional duties that are broadly in-line with the above responsibilities, as assigned
Qualifications & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theatre, or equivalent relevant experience preferred Minimum of 2-3 years experience as a Technical Director or ATD required
- Advanced understanding of theatrical construction techniques, including carpentry and rigging, as well as appropriate safety precautions and procedures
- The ability to read, create, and implement technical drawings, implement scenery fabrication, and apply arithmetic and geometry to everyday construction problem solving
- Ability to analyze and evaluate the need for technical support for various theatrical events and performances
- Maintain effective oral and written communication with theater staff and guest designers
- Experience working with QLab and using AutoCAD or Vectorworks
- Flexibility to alter shifts/days off to accommodate projects and departmental objectives, including the ability to work nights/weekends as needed
- Ability to stand continuously for 3-5 hours at a time
- Ability to operate hand tools, climb ladders, work at varying heights and perform other physical tasks typical of a Technical Director
- Ability to lift and move a minimum of 50 lbs
Helpful relevant experience:
- Knowledge of connecting lighting and sound systems via OSC/MIDI
Working hours can vary based on the production calendar. Extended working hours including some nights and weekends may be required leading into tech rehearsals for mainstage and TYA productions.
Benefits include the option for health insurance and two weeks paid vacation per year. Playhouse Theatre Group employs a staff fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Sean Harris, Co-Artistic Director, at SHarris@PlayhouseTheatreGroup.org
Playhouse Theatre Group, Inc.
West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, performing arts, recruitment, technical director, and technical theatre. States: Connecticut.
Please Share the Technical Director job: