Exhibition Lighting Foreperson
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for an Exhibition Lighting Foreperson.
Working directly with the staff of the Exhibition Design and Production Department, the Foreperson oversees an in-house crew of Exhibition Lighting Technicians, including temps from the local union, who provide exhibition lighting for the entire Museum and assist with power and data installations for audiovisual.
This oversight is especially critical when work is taking place in multiple areas within the building, and when working within tight schedules.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Interacts with all Museum departments that work on exhibitions and also with Operations, Security, and Visitor Engagement.
- Establishes work assignments within this crew to maximize efficiency and quality control.
- Maintains a well-organized inventory of all Museum supplies as needed for both gallery and building maintenance.
- Orders and receives all materials.
- Coordinates on-site work with the other trades (carpentry, electrical and Audio Visual) to provide a clean and safe work environment and to comply with the provided schedule.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by management.
- Five to 10 years professional experience as a lighting technician.
- Knowledge of lighting systems and track fixtures along with experience lighting artwork.
- Knowledge of running and terminating electrical cables, ability to diagnose issues and follow building code.
- Ability to follow construction drawings and equipment specifications.
- Ability to operate lifts required to perform tasks.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Demonstrated ability to climb ladders and work in confined spaces above and below ground.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to operate equipment; understand oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift materials.
- Ability to bend, stoop and reach overhead.
- A special note: A great deal of work will be done within the Museum’s galleries, spaces that contain invaluable works of art. The Foreperson must not only be personally careful and vigilant but must oversee the work of others within these spaces, always making sure that surfaces are protected and that the art is never compromised.
- Fully vaccinated with a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and/or the World Health Organization authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a qualified disability or sincerely held religious belief or other legal basis).
Reports to: Senior Production Manager
Salary: The salary for this position is $54.07 per hour
How to Apply:
To apply, please visit MoMA Jobs or [click here]
Applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement:
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at the Museum, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, unemployment status, familial status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to the extent required by applicable law, credit history, or any other protected category as established by applicable law, including the New York City Human Rights Law (“NYCHRL”)
Note: This is a unionized position at MoMA with covered employees represented by Local 2110, UAW, AFL-CIO.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: exhibition, lighting, lighting design, MOMA, and museum. States: New York.
Please Share the Exhibition Lighting Foreperson job: