Full-Time Executive Director
Executive Director, full-time, salaried position beginning June 15, 2020
The Phipps Center for the Arts (ThePhipps.org) offers exciting performances, engaging exhibitions, and inspiring classes in the performing and visual arts. It is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) corporation operating since 1983 in historic downtown Hudson, Wisconsin, on the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, 20 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. It produces community theater, children’s theater, and dance productions; presents concerts ranging from jazz to classical; exhibits the work of area and regional artists in seven galleries as well as off-site; and offers lessons, classes, and workshops in the performing and visual arts throughout the year. It houses a 247-seat proscenium theater and a 125-seat black box theater.
Executive Director Job Description
The executive director administers the overall operations of The Phipps Center for the Arts (PCA). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following: assist the Children’s Theater, Dance, Drama, Music, Visual Arts, and Volunteer Councils, promote and publicize all programming, manage the staff, account for fiscal matters, negotiate program and facility use, negotiate contracts, supervise management of the physical facility, organize and manage the Annual Fund campaign, seek grant resources, write grant proposals, seek endowment gifts, prepare monthly program and budget reports for the board of directors.
The executive director promotes and supports the volunteers and works cooperatively with council coordinators. This full-time position requires enthusiasm for and knowledge of the fine arts, management skills, marketing skills, budget experience, organizational skills, fundraising skills, proficiency with interpersonal communication, a command of written and oral skills, and a proficiency with current technology.
The executive director acts on the directives of The PCA Board of Directors and receives an annual performance review.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
Artistic Programs and Education (25%)
- Develops a calendar of programs which may include performances, exhibits, classes, workshops, forums, and facility rental
- Promotes programming initiated by the five councils, offering resourceful feedback and supportive direction
- Guides all programming to fit the PCA goals and mission
- Maintains a harmonious liaison with volunteers, the volunteer program, and supporting services such as front of house staff
- Produces and promotes a comprehensive publicity program, which may include print and digital media, to reach the community base. May delegate related responsibilities
Fund Development (30%)
- Organizes a yearly fundraising campaign and may delegate related responsibilities
- Seeks grants and writes proposals which support PCA program and mission
- Solicits support for Endowment Fund
- Develops and maintains donor relationships
- Supervises the staff and conducts performance reviews
- Develops and implements the annual goals of the action plan
- Reviews standards and trends in the arts leading to the enhancement of rich programming at the PCA
- Demonstrates annual professional development benefiting the PCA
- Assists in recruiting the board of directors
- Responsible for the effectiveness and recruitment of volunteers
- Creates an annual budget with the financial administrator
- Operates within the budget and manages the budget
- Reports budgetary information to PCA Board of Directors and committees
- Monitors investments and endowments with the finance committee
- Conducts monthly staff meetings
- Supervises the management of the physical facility, including upkeep, maintenance, replacement and repair
- Supervises maintenance staff, including scheduled meetings
- Monitors utilities and supplies
The PCA has an annual operating budget of $1.3 million. Endowments and unrestricted net assets total $3.7 million.
Full-time paid staff positions consist of the executive director, the visual arts director, the financial administrator, an administrative associate, the technical director, and two maintenance personnel. The Healing Arts coordinator serves Hudson Hospital and Westfields Hospital, which pay for the full-time position’s salary and benefits. There is also a part-time performing arts production coordinator. Production staff, guest artists, and instructors are all independent contractors.
Over 750 volunteers contributed over 40,097 hours of support during 2018. Volunteers annually provide dedicated and talented service in all the center’s activities. Opportunities include planning the season of events, jurying and installing gallery shows, performing, front-of-house management, selling tickets, operating light and sound equipment, as well as building sets, props, and costumes.
Adaptability – ability to adapt to rapid pace in a changing workplace
Analytical – capacity to collect and analyze information, solve problems, and make decisions
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – demonstrate respectful, welcoming, and engaging behavior to people of all cultures, abilities, and backgrounds
Communication – excellent oral and written communication skills
Consensus Builder – ability to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions
Detail Oriented – thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved
Decision Maker – ability to make critical decisions while following organization’s policies and procedures
Diplomacy – ability to engage, partner, and build alliances with a wide range of constituencies, both internal and external
Financial Acumen – ability to work with staff, councils, and board to plan and manage budgets
Integrity – ability to act with the highest ethical standards in making work-related decisions
Nimbleness – ability to quickly shift direction or focus to respond to changing market conditions or new opportunities
Project Management Skills and Capabilities – ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to achieve results according to established timelines
Relationship Building – ability to identify and initiate working relationships and to develop and maintain them in a way that is of mutual benefit
Self-Motivated – ability to organize, direct, and effectively motivate oneself
Time Management – ability to manage the available time to organize and complete work efficiently and effectively within given deadlines
Exempt Salary Position
This exempt salary position has a flexible schedule with many evening and weekend hours. Salary is commensurate with experience, qualifications, performance, and PCA budget. Benefits include optional health insurance coverage, vacation pay, and holiday pay.
Education & Experience
The PCA seeks an executive director with at least a bachelor’s degree and five years of administrative experience who is multifaceted, a self-learner, and pursues personal growth.
Qualified candidates must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 50 percent of the time. The person in this position must be able to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment, such as a telephone, printer, and copier. This person must be able to move materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. The executive director frequently communicates with staff, volunteers, and the public and must be able to exchange accurate information verbally, in writing, and by telephone.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Phipps Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership, parental status, military status, or any other non-merit factor.
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and three references to the Executive Director Search Committee at info@ThePhipps.org by February 15, 2020.
In addition to a standard background check, this position requires a credit check that is satisfactory to the board of directors.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, arts center, director, executive director, exhibition, management, and marketing. States: Wisconsin.
Please Share the Executive Director job: