Full-Time Executive Director
Organization: Gallery North and The Studio Gallery North
Organization Website: gallerynorth.org
Established in 1965 and located on the North Shore of Long Island, Gallery North is a not-for-profit gallery promoting the finest art and craft of the region. The Studio at Gallery North is a vibrant place offering a wide selection of educational programming, community art-making opportunities, and workspace for professional artists.
Located in Setauket, near Stony Brook University and fifty-five miles from New York City, the gallery sits at the heart of a beautiful historic neighborhood.
Gallery North focuses on presenting contemporary art in a variety of disciplines, including painting, drawing, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture, digital art and film. Exhibits explore the diversity and vitality of life on Long Island, while classes, workshops, excursions, talks, and annual festivals foster lifelong connections to the arts. The scope of Gallery North’s mission serves the community, strengthens bonds between artists and residents, and promotes the work of regional creators.
Gallery North seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial arts professional with experience working in the non-profit sector and strong leadership abilities. Under the direction of the Board of Trustees the Director is responsible for overseeing every aspect of Gallery North and The Studio. Specific experience in generating diverse financial support, working with artists and a robust understanding of a community-driven mission are musts. The Director is Gallery North’s primary representative, spokesperson and public figure. He or she will play a continuous role in elevating the profile of Gallery North in the community.
- Oversee the program implementation, budget and facilities on a daily basis to ensure that Gallery North remains a financially viable, sustainable organization
- Create and organize temporary exhibitions featuring exciting artists, both established and emerging
- Oversee the operation of The Studio
- Cultivate and maintain a collaborative working environment across the staff and volunteers
- Move the Gallery and the Studio forward by engaging with the community on a meaningful level, including artists, educators, collectors and donors
- Manage, cultivate and oversee all fundraising efforts, specifically events and donor development.
- Manage all grant writing and reports
- Manage and maintain the budget as approved by the Board of Trustees
- Work with the Board of Trustees an an art/community advisory board, ensuring that .committees and efforts are well-organized and supported
Key Credentials and Personal Qualities
- Bachelors Degree, Masters Preferred
- Art marketing/promotion/sales experience
- Experience working in the non-profit sector
- Fundraising/Grant writing/membership development experience
- Curating experience
- Knowledge of the processes of art-making
- Experience managing staff
- Experience recruiting and training volunteers
- Experience in public relations
- Knowledge of the care and management of collections
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Poise under pressure
- Ability to inspire and maintain a positive work environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Familiarity with the use of social media in promotion and marketing
- Proficiency with commonly used computer applications such as MS Office, Google Applications and Quickbooks
Salary commensurate with experience
Gallery North is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
To apply send resume and letter of interest by email to firstname.lastname@example.orgJob Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, director, education, executive director, gallery, and non-profit. States: New York.
Please Share the Executive Director job: