Full-Time Executive Director
The team of Zoellner Arts Center (ZAC) at Lehigh University develops, produces and presents performing arts programs and installations across disciplines through robust activities that inspire artists, students and audiences in the exploration of artistic expression.
As home to the Guest Artist/Presenting Series, the Departments of Music and Theatre and the Lehigh University Art Galleries, ZAC is a premier venue for the performing arts and a bountiful resource for the Lehigh University campus as well as the broader Lehigh Valley community.
Under the supervision of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Executive Director of Zoellner Arts Center is responsible for overall leadership of the center, a crucial function of championing goals and values, setting direction and inspiration.
The position strategically directs and implements the artistic vision in alignment with the center’s mission and goals.
The position works collaboratively with University colleagues to fundraise and to continue building on the prominent reputation of the arts center to generate significant new sources of support.
The position functions as a spokesperson of ZAC in the arts, across campus and external communities.
The position serves as an active member of the oversight management team for the center comprised of the Director of Lehigh University Art Galleries (LUAG), academic Chairpersons of the Theatre and Music Departments and the College Director of Administration to provide overall leadership and to ensure ZAC shared goals and objectives are met.
Direct Zoellner Arts Center operations and administration
- Senior-level leadership responsible for directing Zoellner Arts Center day-to-day operations of event management, facilities, technical support and rentals; supervising both directly and indirectly approximately 20 team members; manage in a professional, knowledgeable and collaborative manner to motivate staff
- Create and maintain a coherent identity for Zoellner Arts Center, one that is consistent with the University mission and complements other regional art venues; one that creates exciting new learning opportunities, promotes faculty scholarship and creative work, and contributes to a lively arts scene in our local community
- Foster a culture of transparency, collaboration and communication within the ZAC management team (ZAC Executive Director, College Director of Administration, Director of the Lehigh University Art Galleries (LUAG) and Academic Department Chairs of Theatre and Music to articulate the vision and achieve the strategic mission of the Center
- Direct strategic planning in a fiscally responsible and sustainable manner that enhances both the student and non-student experience; manage the centers fiscal requirement in a clear and transparent manner; administer financial records, budgets, ticket settlements, donations and other revenue-related items to ensure consistent financial health; set ticket prices to maintain market position and to attract diverse audiences and maintain financial stability
- Work with ZAC operations manager and front-of-house staff, to ensure Guest Artist/Presenting Series, Music and Theatre performances operate smoothly
- Review ZAC communications and marketing materials to effectively brand the center and promote the programs
- Ensure the organizational structure and work climate for ZAC staff within the arts center is professional, trusting, inclusive, equitable and motivational; optimize the number of and scheduling of events, including rentals and other activities so staff can perform tasks while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
Implement Programming Vision to execute the Annual Guest Artist/Presenting Series
- Devote passion to the center’s mission for leading-edge performing arts across the disciplines, forging new directions in arts and education
- Develop and implement objectives and strategies for curating presenting series to ensure it is of high-quality, represents varied art forms and cultures and appeals to a diverse audience, including students, campus and external community, individual, corporate and foundation donors
- Research, evaluate, select and book professional Guest Artists yearly
- Evaluate trends on a local and national basis to make sure ZAC offerings remain competitive and cutting-edge
- Attend and evaluate performances annually to stay current on new talent
- Attend conferences devoted to presenting professional arts to evaluate and seek new programming ideas
- Discuss and coordinate presenting series with ZAC management team to promote synergy and collaboration across campus and art center neighbors
- Review each contract for its corresponding event, including salary, hospitality, box office and technical issues
- Develop and manage pre-show lectures and other activities related to the presenting series
- Create innovative and unique opportunities for ZAC programming that enhance arts education on campus and in the local community with awareness towards the needs of the organization
Integrate outreach and educational activities as appropriate
- Enhance Zoellner Arts Center’s reputation as a leader in the arts, worthy of financial support from multiple sources; including individual donors, corporations and foundations
- Responsible for researching, developing programs and strategies and writing state and regional grants to support the mission of the Center
- Collaborate and lead the charge of fundraising with Development, the Friends of Zoellner Committee, corporations, foundations and other sources of revenue
- Cultivate relationships with current individual donors to encourage further stewardship
- Direct existing cultivation events and conceive of new opportunities to engage supporters
- Maintain and expand existing corporate sponsorships and in-kind partnerships to support the Centers programs and community outreach, and manage stewardship of each; seek ways to work with University Development fundraising efforts to increase the level of engagement of current ZAC donors and sponsors, as well as solicit new donors and sponsors
Serve as spokesperson and representative of ZAC across the arts, campus, academics and external communities
- Maintain memberships in professional arts organizations at local, regional and national levels
- Attend conferences and professional meetings
- Serve on executive committees of those organizations
- Serve on grant and foundation panels
- Give professional presentations at organizational meetings and conferences
- Attend Lehigh and non-Lehigh community functions
- Raise Zoellner’s presence in the community
- Be present and affable at Guest Artist/Presenting Series programs and other campus events
- Introduce Guest Artists as appropriate
- This position has fiscal or financial responsibilities other than employee expense activity, such as processing or approving transactions; monitoring or preparing budgets; or generating income for the University
- Will be required to walk, stand and sit on a regular basis
- Will work a variable shift; this will be event driven
- Periods of high volume/workload may be required
- Regular evening, holiday or weekend hours
- Occasional travel to attend conferences
Please provide your salary requirements when submitting your application.
- Master’s Degree in Arts, Administration, Business or related degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Eight or more years related work experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing ability, organizational skills and attention to detail
- Solid analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
- Supervisory experience required
- Solid computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
- Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, county and national criminal background checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance. Based upon the requirements of the position Lehigh may also request credit history reports, motor vehicle checks and professional license/certification verification
How to Apply
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, arts center, arts education, director, executive director, grant-writing, management, and university. States: Pennsylvania.
Please Share the Executive Director job: