ABOUT RED BULL THEATER
Red Bull Theater (RBT) brings rarely seen classic plays to new life for contemporary audiences. The company also produces new works that are in conversation with the classics. Our in-person audience averages 15,000/year; our online audience has reached over 100,000 people in the past two years. The company’s unique programming has received ongoing critical acclaim, nominations and Awards. RBT is governed by a 19-member board of trustees, with a full-time staff of four, and its FY22 budget was $1.4 million. RBT is poised for sustainable growth as it plans for its Twentieth Anniversary and beyond.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – POSITION SUMMARY
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director (ED) will have the vision to move RBT to the next exciting chapter of its growth. In partnership with Founder and Artistic Director (AD) Jesse Berger, the ED will be engaged in all aspects of company leadership. In concert with the AD, board, and staff, they will set a clear direction for the organization and ensure resources, systems, and structures are in place to meet RBT’s goals for its twentieth anniversary season and beyond. The ED will value diversity and create an environment that is sustainably inclusive and equitable. They will be a positive role model who works creatively, joyfully and collaboratively across the organization and throughout the community to build strong external relationships.
Core areas of responsibility are threefold:
- Strategic Visioning and Organizational Oversight
- Fundraising and Revenue Enhancement
- Financial Management and Board Stewardship
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The ED will be a diplomatic and inspirational leader, who
- embraces RBT’s mission to revitalize the classics for today’s audiences.
- inspires the passion, commitment, and confidence of RBT’s stakeholders.
- is a sound decision maker and problem solver, who demonstrates integrity and empathy.
- will be a strategic visionary who is receptive to new ideas and methods.
- is skilled at translating artistic needs and values into institutional strategies and specific operating plans.
- is able to respond to frequent change and prioritize tasks to ensure desired outcomes.
- is prepared to participate in all tasks necessary to achieve success for the company.
- is talented at cultivating relationships with individuals and other organizations.
- is collaborative and joyful in their work with others.
The selected candidates will have
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to be a persuasive spokesperson, writer, relationship builder, promoter, and fundraiser.
- A proven track record of fundraising, marketing/branding, board development, and fiscal management.
- Intimate knowledge of the NYC theater and/or performing arts scene.
The selected candidate will also likely have
- Entrepreneurial savvy with the ability to both plan and pivot–and then do it all again.
- Substantive experience with season planning, producing, general managing or line producing theatrical productions. Preferably, this experience will be in the New York Metropolitan area.
- A passion for the performing arts, in general, and for classical theater, in particular, with a working knowledge of the plays and writers at the heart of the company’s mission.
No one person will fully meet all the above traits and qualifications, but RBT is seeking these qualities in serious candidates for the ED position.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
RBT provides a competitive salary of $100k-$110k. Benefits package includes health and dental insurance reimbursement, vacation, and sick days, and an opt-in 401k with a match after one-year.
The company’s annual budget is $1.4M. Our current staff of four full-time employees work together in an open-plan 1,000 square foot open office space in Chelsea. Remote work is part of our operational routines as needed. The office is closed for all federal and state holidays, summer Friday hours, the week of Independence Day, and between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
APPLICATIONS AND INQUIRIES
To submit a letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments, please email (PDF only) Board Chair Howard Owens at EDSearchCommittee@redbulltheater.com.
Please mention where you saw this posting.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Red Bull Theater celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, executive director, finance, fund-raising, and performing arts. States: New York.
Please Share the Executive Director job: