Full-Time Director of Production
Fort Worth Opera is accepting applications for the position of Director of Production. This is full time, exempt position that reports directly to the General Director.
The Director of Production is responsible for the technical implementation of Fort Worth Opera productions and events. The Director of Production supervises the company’s main stage and alternative venue production activities, FWO-TCU Lesley Apprentice Artist productions, audience engagement events, special events and any other events that require production support.
The Director of Production engages and successfully manages production personnel, including technical director, production administration, stage management, designers, lighting and audio staff, projections, carpentry, costume and wardrobe, properties, hair and make-up, supernumeraries, supertitles, stage hands and other technical personnel as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Determine set/costume/physical production needs for Fort Worth Opera productions, providing options for consideration.
- Recommend to the General Director the engagement of competent technical and design Personnel; negotiate, prepare and maintain contracts with them; and supervise their activities.
- Confirm and coordinate crew needs with IATSE local.
- Supervise and support rehearsal process, orchestral rehearsal setup, technical rehearsals and performances.
- Serve as primary liaison with the Director of each production regarding technical needs and implementation.
- Develop a fiscally sound departmental budget based on departmental goals and organizational needs.
- Provide cash flow projections for the Finance Department. In collaboration with Finance Department, process payroll for production and technical staff.
- Monitor and control expenditures within the approved budget, continuously seeking opportunities to reduce or eliminate unnecessary expenses.
- Develop and present financial reports, forecasts and cost analyses.
- Participate in season planning discussions, especially as regards availability of production, workability of productions and development of new production needs.
- Coordinate Fort Worth Opera’s production calendar with the Artistic Director and Stage Management.
- Maintain and update master schedule of productions/rehearsals. Responsible for daily and long-term planning.
- Keep staff on schedule through regular meetings and personal contact.
- Maintain inventory tracking of existing productions. Promote, negotiate and implement production rental contracts to maximize rental revenue.
- Responsible for the trucking, warehousing and maintenance of all opera sets, costumes, properties and lighting equipment.
- Establish communication and mutual respect with all senior staff so that the production department will act in harmony with all other departments of the Opera.
- Build professional working relationships with all staff members to enhance morale and maintain a positive attitude within the working environment.
- Establish professional working relationships with all directors, set, costume and lighting designers, hair and make-up, and external partners, including Bass Performance Hall. Coordinate their efforts to satisfy the artistic and financial goals of the Opera.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree or equivalent experience.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum five (5) years of professional experience as Director of Production or Production Manager managing the production function of an opera company, or seven (7) years of progressive professional experience in supervisory duties managing the production function of an opera and theatre/ballet company.
- Excellent knowledge of stage craft, opera repertoire, theater production and scenic construction.
- Experience working with union crews and collective bargaining agreements.
- Proven knowledge of management principles and financial accounting.
- Extensive experience developing production budgets and preparing new productions.
- Success with selecting, supervising, evaluating and developing staff and crew.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead team members.
- Ability to interact with integrity and a high level of professionalism with all levels of team members and management, artists, donors, patrons, and volunteers.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and exercise good judgment and initiative.
- Ability to stay calm during stressful situations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, & PowerPoint).
- AutoCAD and VectorWorks experience preferred.
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
Fort Worth Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and the company adheres to a policy of nondiscrimination against any person based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other status as protected by applicable law. The Opera retains the express right to conduct background investigations on prospective and current employees in order to obtain criminal conviction records.
Salary is commensurate with experience and demonstrated skills. Excellent compensation package includes health benefits and 401(k) savings plan.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com by August 16, 2018.
Please Share the Director of Production job: