Full-Time Director of Operations
Berkeley Symphony seeks an exceptionally organized, resourceful, and personable Director of Operations with a passion for classical and new music. The Director of Operations oversees concert production, artistic administration, and office management, while assisting in all aspects of this $1.2 million performing arts organization. The ideal candidate will be an experienced arts administrator who thrives working independently and collaboratively as part of a small, nimble team.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum of five years in a related position
- Mastery of project planning and management, time and resource management, creative problem solving, attention to detail and sound decision-making
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals of diverse backgrounds at all levels of the organization
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills
- Experience with orchestra personnel management, database systems, and/or basic web skills a plus
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Must provide own transportation and be able to transport production equipment
- Ability to lift up to 42 lbs. on occasion
The Director of Operations is responsible for the following duties, as well as additional ones, as assigned:
- Plan and execute Symphonic concerts with Personnel Managers, Stage Manager, and vendors
- Create and manage season production budget of c. $400,000, generating forecasts as needed and budgets for outside project proposals
- Work with Personnel Managers and Librarian in hiring musicians, mailing parts, and collecting music and new hire employment documents
- Attend and arrange hospitality for all rehearsals and concerts; troubleshoot production issues as required
- Create and monitor orchestra work agreements
- Prepare musician payroll with Finance Director and Personnel Managers
- Arrange and contract for rehearsal and concert venues, including facilitating venues and rentals for Music in the Schools with the Education Director
- Generate concert stage plots and event run sheets, and liaise with concert venue staff and crew
- Arrange and contract instrument rentals as needed
- Hire and supervise music librarian, stage manager, and recording engineer
- Organize and manage auditions
- With the Executive & Artistic Director, issue and monitor guest artists’ contracts, and liaise with their management
- Arrange for travel and local accommodations, and assist guest artists as needed
- Perform H. R. functions, including new hires and terminations, administering benefits, and responding to EDD report requests
- Work with Finance Director on benefits and compliance issues
- Process mail, including bills and donations received via check
- Coordinate office resources and supplies, including lease/purchase and maintenance of office equipment
- Serve as recording secretary for Board meetings
- Support Development and Marketing projects as needed, including proofreading public documents and contributing to grant applications, budgets, and reports
The Director of Operations reports to the Executive & Artistic Director and manages the Orchestra Librarian, Personnel Managers, Stage Manager, and Recording Engineer.
Full time and FLSA exempt.
Compensation, including medical, dental, and vision benefits, is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email in PDF or Word formats to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no phone calls or hard copy/physical mail submission.
This position is open until filled.
About Berkeley Symphony:
Founded in 1971 in the intellectual and artistic nexus of Berkeley, California, Berkeley Symphony is unique among Bay Area and American orchestras for its commitment to innovation, community, and excellence. Recognized both locally and internationally for its spirited programming and community service, Berkeley Symphony is renowned for its dedication to presenting vibrant contemporary and classical masterworks. The Symphony presents public Symphonic, Chamber, and Family series performances, and produces over 360 Music in the Schools events annually. Berkeley Symphony is the recipient of numerous ASCAP awards for adventurous programming, and the orchestra been called “the model of self generating excellence” (Financial Times) with “a winning catalog of musical virtues” (San Francisco Chronicle).
How to Apply
Berkeley Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Job Categories: Music. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, director, human resources, management, and music. States: California.
Please Share the Director of Operations job: