Marketing and Communications Director
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekends required
Reports to: Managing Director
About Aurora Theatre Company:
As the storyteller for our community, Aurora Theatre Company inspires new audiences and longtime theatre lovers alike with the visceral power of live theatre. Our venues, the most intimate professional stages in the Bay Area, highlight great acting, nuanced language, and an immediacy that makes for exhilarating theatre. By telling profoundly relevant stories, we’re building a new culture of theatre-going in the Bay Area and contributing to a revitalization of theatre nationwide, challenging all of us to think deeper, laugh louder, and engage more purposefully and profoundly with our neighbors and our world.
At Aurora, we believe that theatre belongs to everyone. We ask that our staff, artists, and audience work together to make all people feel welcome here. Our values include championing racial justice, better embodying anti-racist practices, and confronting and dismantling oppression.
Aurora Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, country of origin, political belief, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information/characteristics, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, military or veteran status, or any basis protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups, including but not limited to BIPOC, non-binary and transgender candidates are encouraged to apply.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE:
The Marketing and Communications Director develops and implements marketing plans to articulate Aurora’s compelling vision, reach new audiences, and maximize attendance, visibility, and income from productions.
- Work with leadership, staff, and board of directors to clarify and articulate Aurora’s current and aspirational identity
- Develop strategies to reach audiences reflective of the diversity of the Bay Area
- Use data, current trends in marketing, communications, and the arts to develop annual marketing plans
- Provide leadership for marketing staff (currently .5 FTE Marketing Associate and .25 Graphic Designer)
- Grow and maintain relationships with press outlets; able to pitch features, solicit interviews, and secure press for performance review.
- Work with the Artistic staff to write and distribute press releases
- Oversee digital, print, and broadcast advertising and track their success
- Oversee creation of social media campaigns
- Supervise website content
- Work with Managing Director to develop and implement ticket pricing strategies
- Attend relevant internal and external events, including Aurora productions
- Work closely with box office staff on effective communications with the audience
- Update, communicate, and maintain Aurora’s Style Guide
- Maintain organization of Aurora’s photo library
- Work with Managing Director to develop and track Aurora’s budget for marketing and communications
- Provide collateral for Development Department
- Perform all duties in accordance with Aurora Policies and Procedures and comply with all federal, state, and local regulations
- The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time, or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED:
- At least five years marketing and communications experience with demonstrated effectiveness
- Demonstrated leadership in strategy development in marketing and communications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Track record of supporting an organization in reaching new audiences
- Experience building collaborative relationships with people across diverse backgrounds and personalities
- Demonstrated experience advocating for equity, diversity, and inclusion.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Performance spaces, most offices, and restrooms are accessible to wheelchair users
- Moderate noise level in building
- Offices are shared with others
- Typing, talking, looking at a computer screen, ability to lift 25 lbs
- Some external meetings may not be wheelchair accessible
- Work can be a combination of remote and in-person (or 100% in person if you prefer)
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: communication, director, marketing, public relations, social media, and theatre. States: California.
Please Share the Marketing and Communications Director job: