Director of Education and Community Engagement
Director of Education and Community Engagement
This position is part of, and works closely with, the Advancement Team, and is responsible for managing and growing programs that educate and engage our patrons, the community, K-12 students, adults, teachers, and university-level students and staff. This position assists in the company’s efforts to enhance existing equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives and community multicultural relationships. This position manages department associates, teaching artists, and volunteers, and works closely with, and reports directly to, the General & Artistic Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Booking, managing, and enhancing all programs for K-12 students (housed under the company’s Goldner Center for Children’s Opera Education).
- Overseeing, enhancing, and increasing value-added programming for adult audience education, engagement, and development.
- Working with all team members to enhance the company’s existing equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives, as well as the company’s multicultural community relationships and partnerships.
- Researching, writing, and editing curriculum-based K-12 study guides, resubmitting curriculum to Palm Beach County’s K-12 Arts Education Administrator, and contributing to all education and community engagement materials for marketing and development initiatives.
- Working closely with the Artistic Department to secure all artistic needs for education and engagement programs.
- Working closely with the General & Artistic Director and Advancement Team on creation and management of new audience engagement initiatives.
- Assisting in promoting and marketing education and engagement activities to potential individual supporters and business partners, and managing company participation in outside community initiatives.
- Working with the Development Department to identify, and assist in applying for, grant funding opportunities for company education and engagement programming and activities.
- Supervising department associates, and all associated work duties, including managing teaching artists and program volunteers.
- Networking in the educational community to enhance Palm Beach Opera’s relationship with school boards, school administrators, and teachers, as well as furthering relationships and collaborations in the community’s multicultural organizations.
- Manage the department’s finances.
- Other responsibilities as needed pertaining to education and engagement initiatives.
This job description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. While this listing is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the company reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed or assigned.
New Hire Qualifications
An outgoing, energetic, and enthusiastic storyteller with the ability to listen, interact, and connect with patrons, children, staff, media, and vendors. Dynamic, approachable person, who is personally driven with an entrepreneurial spirit and a willingness to embrace new ideas and technology. An organized team player with a hands-on approach and the ability to manage projects from inception to execution, as well as work both independently and in a variety of team settings. An affinity for opera is a plus.
Education and Experience:
Minimum 3-5 years professional experience in arts education and community engagement. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred, with advanced degrees a plus. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills a must. The ideal candidate also has experience with adult engagement activities and multicultural initiatives, has demonstrated ability to build effective community collaborations and partnerships, has knowledge of protocols and procedures for both private and public schooling, has grant writing experience, and is familiar with the Palm Beach County education system. Supervisory experience, knowledge of opera, and bi-lingual Spanish (written and spoken) are a strong plus. Has demonstrated ability to build effective community collaborations and partnerships
Proficiency in standard business software including Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) a must. Experience with in-house design, email marketing, audio editing, and video editing applications a plus.
Candidates are requested to submit work samples relevant to this position including (but not limited to) education study guides, curricula, writing samples, etc.
Reliable transportation required. Ability to lift 30 lbs. Flexible schedule that will require working some nights and weekends during season (available to attend rehearsals, performances, special events, etc.).
The salary range for this position is $75,000 to $85,000 annually, depending on experience.
The Director of Education and Community Engagement is a full-time exempt position.
Palm Beach Opera offers generous benefits and an excellent working environment.
Please forward your cover letter, résumé and relevant work samples in pdf format to: email@example.com
Palm Beach Opera is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all facets of the organization, and is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, sex, age, familial status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, military service and veteran status, or genetic information.
Job Categories: Music. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: community, director, education, engagement, management, music, and opera. States: Florida.
Please Share the Director of Education and Community Engagement job: