Director of Development
• Pilobolus Development Director
• Full-Time Job
• Location: 6 Calhoun Street Washington Depot, CT
Pilobolus is an internationally acclaimed dance collective renowned for its unique, diverse collaborations that ignore preconceived barriers between creative disciplines.
The company is committed to constantly creating, always collaboratively, and exploring ways of using the human body as a graphic and expressive medium.
The company puts its creative energy into action in the communities where it performs, teaching groups of people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities new ways of thinking independently while forming genuine human connections, working collaboratively, and finding beauty in unexpected places.
As Pilobolus celebrates 50 years of creating, performing, and teaching the collaborative process of dance making, we seek a Development Director who will work with the Executive Director, the board, and senior staff in planning and managing our collaborative development efforts. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position is integral to the curation of relationships and systems that support the growth and management of the board, individual patrons, and institutional donors at all levels. Excellent interpersonal and proposal writing skills are required to articulate and inspire support for the mission and activities of Pilobolus. Our goal is to create a well-rounded and effective fundraising culture that produces measurable results in the near term and a solid institutional base over time.
Development Operations and Events
- Work with Executive Director and senior staff to create and implement an ambitious development plan that sets fundraising performance goals and benchmarks, and produces diverse earned revenue and contributed income streams;
- Hire and manage associate and support staff over time to create a collaborative, effective, and efficient development team;
- Work with senior staff to create and adhere to departmental and program budgets;
- Oversee gift tracking, including the acknowledgment process;
- Expand and manage donor database, including electronic and hard copy mailing lists for individual donors sourced from existing lists and mining new data;
- Work with the Board to plan and manage the Annual Gala;
- Work with marketing staff and contractors to communicate fundraising and event information via social media and traditional communications;
- Ensure that messaging is effective and consistent across all programs and communications;
- Align fundraising operations with the organization’s strategic planning and internal/external marketing and communications.
Board Support and Management
- Support the Board’s annual fundraising goals working with the Executive Director and Development Committee;
- Research Board prospects, and review prospects regularly with Executive Director, Development and Nominating Committees;
- Create and update Board orientation materials;
- Work with Executive Director, General Managers, Co-Artistic Directors, and Education Director to create and implement Board orientation and training activities;
- Facilitate communications with Board members, including quarterly development reports, invitations to special events, institutional and individual prospect summaries, and donor meeting materials;
- Lead and participate in the collaborative effort of preparing quarterly board meetings materials with the Executive Director, Co-Artistic Directors, and General Managers.
Individual and Institutional Giving
- Manage and evolve individual donor prospect list and relationships;
- Create and oversee annual fundraising campaign aligning donors with Pilobolus’ mission and current activities in education, new works, and projects;
- Devise and update donor benefits, and plan donor recognition and education events;
- Oversee and expand institutional giving efforts to help produce a portfolio of institutional donors;
- Draft, revise, and edit proposals, reports, and letters of intent;
- Oversee maintenance of grants calendar;
- Initiate communications with artistic staff regarding future projects and grants;
- Seek, source, and cultivate new individual and institutional prospects;
- support the ED in their solicitations of major donors and Board members.
- Bachelor’s Degree required advanced degree or commensurate experience preferred;
- At least five to seven years experience in development, including performance, preferably dance;
- Proven track record in securing major gifts and grants;
- Proposal and grant writing skills and experience;
- Excellent organizational skills and an eye for detail;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, managing multiple projects simultaneously;
- Comfortable with multiple deadlines and competing timetables;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills for external and internal audiences including high-profile donors;
- Diplomacy, poise, and empathetic social skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of the arts;
- Excellent computer skills including G-Suite and donor database systems, Network for Good preferred.
Salary range: $75,000 – $90,000 commensurate with experience.
Company benefits package includes family health coverage and individual dental, basic life, short and long-term disability, defined contributions 403(b) plan, and paid vacation.
Optional coverage is available for family dental.
While this position is based in our Washington Depot office, partially remote work is negotiable.
Pilobolus is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
To apply, please send a resume with a cover letter, salary expectations, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and your name in the subject line.
This position is open for immediate employment. No phone calls, please.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: dance, development, director, fund-raising, giving, management, and theatre. States: Connecticut.
Please Share the Director of Development job: