Full-Time Development Director
The Development Director (DD) reports to the Executive Director (ED) of the Homestake Opera House (HHOH) governed by the board of directors (BOD). The DD manages activities for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and appreciation of donors. The DD plans and executes development activities in collaboration with the ED and Development Committee (DC). Other duties not specifically listed may be required as the HHOH is a small but dynamic non-profit.
- Facilitate Fundraising:
- Work to achieve fundraising goals and objectives established by the BOD.
- Frame and execute organizational fundraising to including:
- Mass Appeal Program – frame and execute annual strategies for direct mail, digital communication, and other strategies.
- Major Gifts – identify, cultivate, solicit and extend appreciation to individuals, businesses and foundations.
- Planned Giving – engage in specific major gift initiatives such as capital, endowment or other or specific multi-million-dollar campaigns.
- Development Grants – works with ED, Grants Writer, and DC to select grants and oversee grant applications and reporting related to fundraising activities.
- Special Events – plan and coordinate fundraising events.
- Work with ED to prepare income and expense budget for the development department and ensure budgeting goals are met.
- Organize, recruit and lead the Development Committee. Provide clear expectations and opportunities for committee members to participate in development activities.
- Actively engage donors, HHOH members and patrons, members of the Black Hills community, and local government and businesses.
- Manage donor and volunteer database. Utilize data to frame and execute systematic strategies for timely and effective communication with donors and volunteers.
Support Legacy and Foundation Funding for Sustainability of HHOH:
- Cultivate legacy program and donors to build upon HHOH’s endowment.
- Research and report endowment opportunities and investment.
Provide effective communications:
- Act as a representative and advocate of the HHOH with all media, government agencies, foundations, business groups, and arts organizations.
- Use external presence and relationships to create new opportunities.
Development Director Position Information:
- Hours: Actual hours will vary from week to week, depending upon events occurring during evenings, weekend, and holidays, and travel required for fundraising activities.
- Location: The DD will have an office located within the HHOH building and while travel will be required at times, the DD is expected to maintain regular office hours.
- Wages: Competitive salary within a Compensation Package to include an HRA.
- Evaluation: 90-day performance evaluation after position date and annual evaluation thereafter.
- 2 years of relevant experience in working for a non-profit organization
Passion for Mission
- Ability to translate mission into concrete action items
- Comfortable serving as the public face of the organization and appropriate messaging
- Ability to communicate the organizations’ activities with donors, business partners and friends.
- Willing to be flexible in scheduling evenings or week-end meetings with potential donors and at a wide variety of locations
- Willing to help out in a variety of ways to help cover for major events or cover when other employees are away from the facility.
- Use of technology to build efficient operating systems and enhance communication
- Commitment to creating a mission-driven culture resulting in on time high-output
- Can-do personality
- Creative about building bridges between and among competing interests
- Quick to consult others with expertise, evaluate input and come to clear decisions
- Commitment to the mission and the organization
- Enjoys meeting challenges
- People person, gregarious and fun-loving; easily enlists others in the mission
- Generates trust and loyalty in others; credible leader
- Holds self personally accountable; has integrity
- Energetic; persistent about achieving goals
- Continuous Learner; keeps up with industry trends, competitors and emerging opportunities
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 9pm Feb 8, 2020.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: development, director, finance, fund-raising, non-profit, opera, and recruitment. States: South Dakota.
Please Share the Development Director job: