Associate Technical Director
The Associate Technical Director works closely with the Technical Director to supervise the implementation of scenic designs and stage setups for productions and special events.
This position must relay critical information about scenery and onstage technology to Stage Management and Stage Operations to ensure operational safety during the run of a production.
The Associate Technical Director checks in with all other Production Heads daily to ensure the critical path of load-in and strike are executed in a safe, organized, and cohesive manner.
This staff member also implements safety protocols and procedures relative to construction zone working conditions, overhead rigging, and creating safe welding areas during the build schedule.
As a key artist helping create shows that allow audience members to think beyond their lived experiences—and as a positive, collaborative member of an inclusive workforce—this new staff member will help TheatreSquared answer the question, “How can a theatre be an agent of social change—helping foster a community that is fundamentally more equitable?”
- Drafts build drawing for, and implements, technical designs as created by the Technical Director.
- Supervise scene shop staff including Head Carpenter, Scene Shop Supervisor, and overhire Carpenters.
- Coordinate overhire needs with the Technical Director and schedule the approved time with members of the labor pool.
- Runs load-in and strike calls.
- Works closely with Scenic Charge Artist to manage flow of units from build to paints.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Be able to prepare for in depth discussions with the creative teams on each show about critical storytelling devices and technical execution of challenging problems.
- Collaborate with scenic designers and other members of the creative team during the build through opening.
- Communicate daily schedule changes with the scene shop staff and production heads.
- Assist other areas of production as needed and as schedule allows.
- A strong foundation with computer-aided design programs, Autodesk AutoCAD preferred.
- Hands on experience working with wood and metal in a theatre scene shop
- Experience managing building and loading-in of scenery
- Previous experience in technical design preferred
- Ability to maintain a positive work environment and, when needed, de-escalate conflict and manage difficult conversations
DESIRABLE SKILL SETS
- Previous experience as an head/lead/master carpenter, shop supervisor, or assistant/associate technical director.
- OSHA 10, OSHA 30 Preferred
- Knowledge of overhead rigging best practices and safe working load limits of typical rigging hardware.
- Knowledge of automation systems for moving scenery.
- Knowledge of theatrical lighting, sound, projection/video systems.
- CAD and CAM skills in Autodesk Inventor, AutoDesk Fusion 360, Vectorworks, and SolidWorks
- Ability to set-up video design systems in coordination with the Lighting Supervisor
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This full-time, exempt position with an annual salary of $37,000-$42,000, commensurate with experience, and full benefits. These benefits include health; dental; paid time off; relocation assistance; paid parental leave; professional development allowance; employer-sponsored long-term and short-term disability; $100,000 in employer-sponsored term life insurance; and voluntary 401(k) and/or Roth IRA.
To apply, submit a cover letter, employment resume, and references by visiting theatresquared.bamboohr.com/jobs/
TheatreSquared celebrates diversity and commits to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The company’s goal is to remove barriers to employment that are faced by racialized groups and encourage applicants of all genders, abilities, and ethnic, socio-economic, religious, and educational backgrounds. TheatreSquared believes that a team with a variety of perspectives and skills is critical to our growth as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Please note: All interviews at this time will be held via video service (Google, Zoom, etc.).
We believe that theatre—done well and with passion—can transform lives and communities. At the theatre, in schools and online, we create remarkable performances; broaden access; foster empathy, equity and cohesion; and gather with one another around art, conversation, food and other shared experiences in a welcoming, inclusive space.
THE COMPANY & REGION
TheatreSquared’s signature offering of bold new plays in an intimate setting has driven its growth to become the state’s largest theatre, offering more than 300 performances annually and operating on a $6 million annual budget. The playwright-led company is one of mid-America’s leading laboratories for new work, having launched more than 60 new plays. Its work has received critical acclaim from The New York Times (“Best Theater of 2020” list), The Wall Street Journal (“an outstanding drama company”), NPR’s All Things Considered, and the American Theatre Wing, founder of the Tony Awards.
TheatreSquared’s home—winner of the 2020 American Architecture Award and the AIA NY Honor Award—is a cultural landmark. T2’s hometown of Fayetteville is annually ranked among the top ten US News and World Report “Best Places to Live,” a progressive, bike-friendly, and scenic college community near several Fortune 100 world headquarters. TheatreSquared’s remarkable expansion—with a twentyfold increase in audience in just the past decade— parallels the emergence of its home region as a booming population center and destination for American art.
Offering far-reaching access and education programs and an open-all-day gathering space, TheatreSquared remains rooted in its founding vision, that “theatre—done well and with passion—can transform lives and communities.”
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, production, technical, technical director, and theatre. States: Arkansas.
Please Share the Associate Technical Director job: