Assistant Director of Development Communications→ Boston, Massachusetts, United States
About the BSO
Founded in 1881, the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is one of the premier orchestras in the world. The BSO is committed to bringing world class music and performances to the local and international communities. The key to our success has been our employees from the musicians onstage to those behind the scenes.
About the Role
The Assistant Director of Development Communications supports the Director of Development Communications in developing, implementing, and executing communications and content strategies to support the Boston Symphony Orchestra’s ongoing fundraising, donor relations, and donor engagement efforts.
- Develops and writes content for Development materials including emails, letters, donor stories/features, social media, newsletters, Development web pages, and other communications to amplify the mission, demonstrate impact of fundraising dollars, and inspire giving; internal Development partners include Individual Giving, Planned Giving, Donor Events, Donor Relations, and Volunteer Services; other internal partners include Marketing, Creative Services, Ticketing, Sales
- Curates and writes engagement communications for Board of Trustees and Board of Advisors
- Builds, reviews, and deploys Development email campaigns (appeals, newsletters, etc.); monitors and tracks email performance; provides recommendations to optimize email campaign strategies.
- Collaborates with the Marketing, Press, and Publication Offices to coordinate organization-wide communications, including email and social media.
- Works intentionally with the Marketing team to identify opportunities to repurpose content or partner on content to work more efficiently and strategically.
- Partners closely with BSO Annual Funds staff to coordinate direct mail campaigns.
- Working with Director of Development Communications, explores social media and digital advertising opportunities to expand revenue and broaden donor base.
- Responsible for assisting with development, writing, editing, and management of content for Annual Report, as well as building microsite to house content.
- Further optimize the project management tool currently in use, Airtable, to identify efficiencies and smoother work flows.
- Assists in planning budgets for next fiscal year materials, and acts as liaison to all Development offices regarding budget matters.
*Candidates must submit a writing sample along with their application materials.*
Required Education and Experience
- College degree and minimum 4-5 years professional experience in development communications
- Exceptional writing skills: outstanding ability to clearly communicate ideas and deliver thoughtful recommendations.
- Proficiency with email marketing preferred; of note, BSO utilizes Prospect 2 products.
- Phenomenal external and internal client service skills; ability to build relationships to improve workflow and create efficiencies.
- Experience developing social media and digital advertising campaigns preferred.
- Keen attention to detail and superior organizational skills
- Expert ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and flexibility in finding solutions to problems.
- Musical background/knowledge a bonus, but not required.
- Occasional nights, weekends, and out-of-office assignments may be required.
Please apply via the link below:
The BSO is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant director, communication, development, music, and non-profit. States: Massachusetts.