Theatre Consultant (Stage Engineering)
We are currently seeking an experienced Stage Engineering Consultant with specific expertise in production/systems design for rigging, platforming, automation and other technical theatre systems in North America.
You will work as part of a team consulting on all aspects of performance spaces and venue planning. Alongside our other design disciplines, Stage Engineering Designers primarily focus on the design and specification of overhead rigging, automation, staging and flexible seating systems.
Charcoalblue is the world’s leading multi-national theatre, acoustic, and digital consultancy. Charcoalblue provides guidance and designs for a broad range of buildings and events, including theatre, live performance, music, culture, education, workplaces, entertainment, and sport. We engage with all members of a project team – the clients, architects, engineers, cost consultant, and contractors – on how the design choices they make affect the functionality of the building.
Charcoalblue is an equal opportunities employer. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive working environment across our practice, and we work consistently to ensure elimination of unfair and discriminatory practices within the Partnership and encourage full contribution from its diverse community. Recruitment opportunities are open to all, but we particularly encourage applications from women, members of minority groups, people with disabilities, and anyone who doesn’t currently see themselves significantly represented in our teams.
The Stage Engineering Consultant will be responsible for all aspects of design, documenting, and commissioning of stage engineering systems on our projects, working as part of our project teams which can include theatre designers, lighting designers, stage equipment designers, and acousticians to deliver holistic, client-focused design solutions.
- Provide general support for projects; producing drawings, specifications and reports for specific projects, as well as assisting more senior team members with research on new products, developing the principles of system design and the production of Charcoalblue’s ‘standard’ documentation
- Produce drawings of all types of stage engineering systems (mechanical, electrical and manual) from concept design to detailed specification (Revit & AutoCAD).
- Create equipment schedules, reports and written specifications.
- Estimate budgets for stage engineering equipment at all stages of design based on past bid returns and coordination with suppliers.
- Attending design team meetings and co-ordination workshops on our building projects.
- Researching feasibility of proposed designs, and forward-looking innovation.
- Problem solving – finding custom/creative solutions to particular project challenges.
- Conduct and document site inspection visits and witness testing.
- From time-to-time, assisting with other design and administrative tasks in the studio that may not be stage engineering – for example, creating a drawing issue register for a project.
- Contribute to the overall design philosophy of the practice of open collaborations and discussion.
- Work to a consistently high standard, in line with Charcoalblue’s quality assurance and control procedures.
- Ensure that the demands of your projects are fully met.
- Operate without secretarial assistance: drafting emails, letters, reports and budgets as necessary.
- Meeting with clients to evaluate their needs for a project as they relate to stage engineering systems and automation systems design (and beyond).
- Coordinate with our internal design team to present a holistic design solution which balances all aspects of performance functionality and budget.
- Communicating with client teams to describe our solutions and ensure they reflect the right fit which balances the needs of various project constituents.
- Describing the functionality and purpose of stage engineering systems while adjusting communication styles for different audiences – for other creative designers, for experienced technicians, or electrical engineers.
- Conducting value engineering; adapting and revising designs to reduce cost while maintaining as much value and performance as possible.
- This position will require occasional travel, including international/overseas travel. Noting that during the pandemic long distance travel involving overnight stays is limited and conducted in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Working with our Team Leaders to set out project work plans, goals, and deliverables.
- Contributing to the continual development of our internal design and technical resources.
- Sharing your work and ideas with other designers at Charcoalblue.
- Serving as a resource for all our designers about stage engineering applicable to our projects.
Charcoalblue is open to receiving applications with a variety of levels of experience. We are seeking a broad candidate pool, with no set education or experience requirements. If you meet most of the qualifications below, we encourage you to apply.
- Minimum anticipated experience of 5+ years working in a technical consulting role; likely in some combination of performing arts and architecture, and ideally, a formal qualification (certificate or diploma) in a relevant field.
- OR, in lieu of a relevant qualification above: Minimum experience of 10+ years working in a technical design or production role; likely in some combination of performing arts and architecture.
- Experience in 3D computer drafting in Autocad. Proficiency in REVIT or the ability to quickly learn will be required.
- Familiarity with the standard suite of Microsoft Office products is essential. Our written work is an integral part of Charcoalblue’s profile.
- Familiarity with Adobe Acrobat and / or Bluebeam.
- ETCP Certified Rigging qualification (theatre or arena) is preferred.
- Some ability to manipulate images for inclusion in reports (using InDesign or a similar package).
- Some familiarity or training in mechanical or structural engineering would be desirable.
- Operational and design experience of stage engineering systems, including manual and automated rigging systems and other stage machinery.
- Self-starter with initiative, excellent time management and interpersonal skills.
- We will expect you to be self-motivated in your own research, expanding your knowledge of the theatre and the construction industries.
- A practical knowledge of Theatre Health & Safety practice.
- Experience and interest in live performance, broadcast, and/or events.
- We welcome you to highlight any potentially relevant skills or experience which we have not listed here on your application form.
All applications are due by 9am EST on Monday October 4th, 2021.
Apply through our online system:
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: consultant, performing arts, production, Remote, stage, and theatre. States: New York.
Please Share the Theatre Consultant (Stage Engineering) job: