Full-Time Theater Production Manager
The Zeiterion Performing Arts Center (The “Z”) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to entertain, educate, and inspire our community by presenting a diverse array of high-quality performing artists and providing engaging learning opportunities that contribute to the cultural, social and economic vitality of the South Coast.
The Production Manager (PM) is responsible for the daily technical operations of the Organization, including lighting, sound, rigging, set design, set construction and maintenance. The PM reports directly to the Executive Director of Production. This is a salaried, exempt, full-time, on-site, permanent position.
Responsibilities of the PM include, but are not limited to:
- Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, rigging, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities
- Oversee the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, rigging, and special needs, necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates including coordinating any necessary rentals from vendors
- Oversee or coordinate performance logistics including hotel, travel, and hospitality
- Design, sets up, maintain, and operate lighting, sound, and rigging systems for theatre, dance, music, and other productions and projects; assist guest designers and arts with technical matters
- Supervise event managers, lighting, sound designers, riggers, and general stagehands
- Supervise and assist with set and stage construction and management
- Train and assign volunteer or paid technical staff for all events, as well as the payroll and admin work related to these positions
- Orient facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitate the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; perform preventive maintenance on equipment
- Attend technical week rehearsals in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of the mounting show
Because a PM may be called upon to deal with a wide range of technical issues, he or she benefits from a working knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; computerized lighting systems; stage carpentry; rigging; and appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
The PM must also have an ability to analyze and evaluate the need for technical support for various events and performances; plan, develop, schedule and provide the technical supports required for each event or performance; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; design and construct sets; design lighting and sound systems appropriate to each performance or oversee stage crews and volunteers; perform minor repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment; maintain inventory of necessary supplies; establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of various groups, vendors, co-workers , and others; maintain irregular and extended working hours; able to lift, push or pull objects up to 100 pounds using appropriate tools.
- Minimum 5 years experience in event management including running crews made up of employee and sub-contracted employees
- Working knowledge and experience in lighting, sound, scenic, and rigging equipment
- Rigging experience and certification a plus
- Associates degree or higher preferred
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: manager, non-profit, performing arts, production, and theatre. States: Massachusetts.
Please Share the Theater Production Manager job: