Reports to the General Director, Opera San José, San José, California
The Production Department at Opera San José is responsible for all production and technical details related to the development, creation, and performance of productions, presentations, concerts, and events produced by OSJ. The Production Manager leads general administration for all such production activities across all venues including the California Theater, OSJ’s Heiman Digital Media Studio, and offsite Bay Area venues, and serves as the stage manager for black box productions and community events.
- Lead general administration of all productions, working closely with creative team, production and administrative staff.
- Organize and lead all production meetings; create and track design deadlines and deliverables; in collaboration with heads of production departments, assess project needs and design viability, problem solve budgetary and logistical issues, track the progress of design builds, and maintain healthy and effective production department communication in order to effectively and efficiently move projects forward on time and on budget.
- Manage all production department contracting, on-boarding, hospitality, and payment for production personnel and production related staff hires, including but not limited to Directors, Designers, Stage Managers, Choreographers, Crew, and Designer revival rights & royalties.
- Oversee the production department budget development, reporting and reconciliation.
- Create, distribute, and update all necessary production calendars and production information.
- Serve as OSJ liaison for performance or event space venues, coordinating production schedules, production and crew needs, technical requests, and show-specific requirements.
- Serve as production point of contact for Team San Jose while in residence at the California Theater. Manage the administrative venue-specific tasks while in residence, including security cards and keys, parking, EMT scheduling, door guards, and HVAC needs.
- Track negotiations and ensure compliance with production department union collective bargaining agreements. Participate in union CBA negotiations as needed.
- Serve as stage manager for non-mainstage productions, including but not limited to events in the Heiman Media Lab and offsite Bay Area venues.
- Oversee all OSJ production rental inquiries including administering all rental, sale, and licensing agreements. Oversee maintenance and updating of the rental catalogue.
- Collaborate with the Artistic department in the creation and maintenance of the OSJ season master calendar and the OSJ master weekly schedule.
- Oversee the OSJ digital media and archival video library, including timely uploading and organization of all production files
- Manage and update the OSJ production history database.
- Manage local and off-site storage facilities in conjunction with the Technical Director.
Requirements for Consideration
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of Production Management experience in the performing arts
- Strong project managements skills, and the ability manage multiple projects in a busy environment
- Experience stage managing live music performing arts events
- Ability to interact and communicate well with people of various backgrounds
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously in a busy environment
- Computer skills: Excel, Word, Outlook, digital file storage and organization
- Excellent judgment, discretion and integrity under stressful circumstances
- Ability to read music
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend rehearsals and performances
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Strong understanding of computer technology, video and streaming technology and hardware, and live-streaming platforms such as OBS
- Experience with union compliance and budgeting
- Fluency in VectorWorks and AutoCAD software, and online project management tools such as Asana
- Interest in and/or knowledge of opera
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong decision making and leadership skills
Opera San Jose offers competitive wages for its industry and location. This full-time position is classified as exempt and will be paid salary. This position is eligible for company benefits, which currently include paid-time-off, health insurance plan, pre-tax flexible spending account, and pre-tax savings program. Benefits may change from time to time as Management determines.
Opera San José, in desiring a more equitable world, is committed to fostering equity in our art form. Opera in the twenty-first century can and should demonstrate today’s values of equity and inclusion. We believe in building, fostering and sustaining a company that reflects, celebrates and serves the diverse communities of the Bay Area. Opera San José cultivates a work environment that encourages fairness, teamwork and respect among all employees. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds may grow personally and professionally.
Opera San José is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, gender, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical disabilities, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or veteran status in hiring, promoting, training, benefits, recommendations, rate of pay or other forms of compensation. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.
Interested applicants should submit a Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Production Manager” in the subject line of your email.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, manager, opera, performing arts, production, and stage. States: California.
Please Share the Production Manager job: