Rockwell Theater→ Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
• Title: Theatre Managing Director
• Reports to: Director of Operations
• Classification: Non-exempt (position is paid hourly and eligible for overtime)
• Position last reviewed: 5/15/2022
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The Rockwell seeks a Managing Director to oversee artistic programming and day to day management of a small, inclusive community theatre and performance space.
The Managing Director assumes total accountability for The Rockwell Theatre’s programming & operations, as related to scheduling, programming & contracts, income & expenses, profitability, staff management, guest services, safety & compliance, community & vendor relationships and all other duties and responsibilities associated with the continued success of the theatre’s operations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan theatre programming that is in line with the Rockwell’s stated mission, while also meeting financial goals on the bar and box office/room income.
- Negotiate and create appropriate contracts with production companies, in order to achieve revenue goals from ticket sales and room fees.
- Marketing, website updates, online calendar, email list, social media, and PR outreach to support and promote the Rockwell brand and programming
- Manage record-keeping of theatre sales, contracts, personnel, and other administrative functions as needed.
- Recruit, train, manage & schedule theatre staff and independent contractors
- Report all needed repairs and coordinate with the Director of Operations and contractors to manage maintenance of the physical space (curtains, seating, entrance, lobby, restrooms, etc.)
- Maintain communication with the Director of Operations and collaborate to make improvements to sales, staff experience, guest experience and other areas as appropriate.
- Coordination of long-range and annual planning
- Produces reports, as needed for accounting, licensing and reporting purposes
- Strong work ethic, self motivated, able to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated capacity to lead, manage, motivate and inspire a team, preferably in an arts management/leadership role.
- Must exhibit excellent interpersonal leadership and communications (both written and oral) skills.
- Experience with social media, able to produce social media posts to promote programming & engage with audiences and partners
- Must possess strong administrative, budgeting and financial management skills. Attention to detail is a must.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent; college degree is preferred but not required
- Management experience or similar work experience, preferably in a performing arts setting
Required Training and Certifications:
Must maintain active ServSafe, Chokesafe, Allergen Awareness, Crowd Safety Manager and TIPs certifications
The work environment can be loud and busy. There are many hazards such as slippery floors, hot liquids and surfaces, and sharp objects including knives.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing for long periods, walking, bending, kneeling and stooping. The employee must frequently lift or move items weighing over 20 pounds.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position which regularly requires long hours and weekend work.
The Rockwell Restaurant Group is part of a small family of businesses that owns and operates several locations throughout the Somerville area including: The Independent, Foundry on Elm, Saloon, The Rockwell and Vera’s. The Independent Restaurant Group is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive pay, benefits, and opportunities to learn and advance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: management, manager, performing arts, and recruitment. States: Massachusetts.