Technical Director (Theater Operations)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the daily theatrical operations of the venue’s performance spaces in collaboration with local arts groups, outside promoters and production companies.
- Ensures all union and non-union personnel are properly trained in all aspects of safety, equipment and operation along with keeping detailed records of such training.
- Maintains physical and technical readiness of stage, support areas, and equipment, as required, including routine maintenance and repair of all production equipment along with keeping detailed records of maintenance checklists.
- Maintains inventory of production consumables and budget replacement items within production/technical budgets.
- Provides direction and leadership for union and non-union labor as required for all productions. Adheres to all union contract rules. Ensures all union and non-union work is executed in a safe, cost conscious/efficient manner while ensuring a high quality of product.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all policies and procedures that relate to the department as well as local, state and federal laws and regulations (including OSHA).
- Accountable for administrative responsibilities to include recruiting, scheduling, payroll, and budgets. Interviews, selects. trains, supervises, counsels, disciplines, and evaluates performance of team for the efficient operation of the department. Schedules and directs team colleagues in their work assignments.\
- Follow and support all operational policies and procedures. Assimilate into the arts center culture through understanding, supporting and demonstrating the core values.
- Maintain a professional and friendly relationship with other departments, colleagues and partners. Responds promptly to all inquiries, feedback and items of concern.
- Able to remain calm under pressure. Ability to work effectively with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy. Maintain Dr. Phillips Center standards of customer service at all times.
- Able to effectively communicate in English in both written and oral forms.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree and/or ten years solid experience in technical theater operations.
- Strong computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint. Must be well-versed on venue logistics systems. Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities. Must be able to perform moderately complex mathematical calculations to complete financial and budgetary tasks.
- Technical and practical knowledge of lighting, audio, stage, and other theater systems. Must have a great understanding of the creative deliverables across a multitude of mediums.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and shifting priorities in a fast-paced work environment with exacting deadlines. Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with specific attention to detail. Ability to focus on the most important tasks to drive outcomes.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to manage and lead a diverse group of skilled and non-skilled workers to deliver efficient and safe load-ins, take-outs and show operations.
- Ability to exercise creativity, initiative and good judgment in the handling of all internal and external customers, most importantly all artists who will visit the facility.
- Organized, self-motivated with a true entrepreneurial spirit and able to achieve excellence with optimized budgets and resources.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Experience with AutoCAD and Vector Works
- ETCP Certification (rigging)
- OSHA 10 / 30
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This position requires the ability to work a variable schedule, evenings, weekends, and holidays to meet operational needs.
Dr. Phillips Center participates in an employment electronic eligibility verification program through E-Verify.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts center, director, technical director, and theatre. States: Florida.
Please Share the Technical Director (Theater Operations) job: