Full-Time Technical Director for the Arts
Brooks School is looking for a Technical Theater Director/Teacher to work with our arts faculty to help instruct, build, and run the technical needs for all Brooks School productions. The Technical Director is responsible for operating, protecting, and maintaining the theater’s technical assets, while also managing and overseeing the different technical areas including set, lighting, costumes, props, sound, and effects.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND KEY OBJECTIVES
- Collaborate with Brooks Faculty, Staff, and Students to generate/execute artistic vision of all productions.
- Teach (3) sections of technical classes during the academic year including a winter term.
- Attend all scheduled production meetings, technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals and communicate regularly with staff including responding to reports regarding Technical Direction.
- Enforce safe use guidelines for all technical spaces and equipment
- Maintain current technical equipment and perform (or delegate) preventative maintenance
- Keep inventory of all technical equipment and order supplies as needed
- Execute scenic design of each production including material orders, carpentry, rigging, etc…
- Train and manage the student technical team for all productions.
- Be(become) certified to operate and teach the use of all technical equipment
- Lead/oversee scenic carpentry
- Manage technical budget for each production, submit all receipts to the Theatre Director according to predetermined schedule.
- All purchases must be pre-approved by the Theatre Director.
- Return all necessary rental materials to the Theatre Director before the end of strike.
- Lead load-in and strike in accordance with Brooks guidelines.
- Oversee general upkeep of scene shop to ensure maximum accessibility of all equipment/materials to ensure that all spaces comply with safety/fire codes.
- Manage/oversee all technical elements of each production including ensuring the safety of all structural and technical elements.
- Coordinate/Manage technical operations for the Arts Center.
- Coordinate usage of technical and performance spaces with summer staff including management of supplies/materials.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Theatre with an emphasis in theatre design/technology is required; a Master of Fine Arts degree (60 hours) in Theatre with an emphasis in theatre design/technology is preferred.
- Experience: At least two years of practical work experience in technical production on the university or professional level is required.
- Skills: Effective oral and written communication skills are required. Supervisory skills are required. Mechanical skills in the use of hand and power tools and gas and electric welders are required. The ability to read and understand floor plans, design sketches, blueprints, construction plans and the ability to produce working drawings are required.
- Effort: The ability to lift and carry materials weighing between 50 – 100 pounds on a daily basis is required.
How to Apply
If interested, please send a short letter of introduction and a resume to Beth McNeff, director of human resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, director, performing arts, school, teaching, and technical theatre. States: Massachusetts.
Please Share the Technical Director for the Arts job: