Theatre Charlotte is seeking an energetic and collaborative complement to join our staff as the full time Technical Director. Under direction and guidance from the Artistic Director, this team member will play a key role in perpetuating Theatre Charlotte’s reputation for high quality, entertaining productions and for being a rewarding place to experience and create live theatre. The TD will join an experienced staff at an exciting time of growth for this long-standing institution. Anticipated start date is late July.
The link for applications can be found here.
Please be prepared to include a resume, references, a letter of intent and pictures of previous work or a link to your portfolio in your application.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Oversee that all scenic elements for productions are constructed and completed as determined by the production schedule.
- Supervise volunteer support related to construction, painting, props, run crews, lighting crews and production crews.
- Order all materials needed for construction.
- Arrange for furniture pick up and returns as needed.
- In tandem with the Artistic Director, schedule and train production crews for performances.
- Create shop drawings as needed to communicate construction plans to carpenters and additional volunteer help.
- Help with purchase and installation of equipment and technology.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Maintain all shop tools and equipment, along with theatrical sound and lighting equipment.
- Assist Artistic Director in creating the production calendar.
- Provide input on budget for production expenses and capital improvements.
- Responsible for in house repairs and maintenance to the facility and serve as the point of contact for repairs by outside contractors.
- Attend production meetings.
- Track production budget.
- Supervise and attend all strikes for shows.
- Willingness to fill in where needed (i.e. run crew, light and sound operator, etc.).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with shop tools, including but not limited to table saw, miter saws, circular saws, jig saws, pneumatic nail guns and staple guns, etc.)
- Solid theatrical construction techniques that maximize safety, stability and maximizes material usage to limit waste.
- Computer-aided drafting (i.e. AutoCad or Vectorworks)
- Experience with theatrical lighting systems and sound systems is a plus.
- Ability to lead, manage, recruit and retain volunteers with a variety of experience and backgrounds.
- Rigging experience.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of QLab helpful.
- Self-starter and independent worker with the ability to work under pressure and also multitask while meeting strict production deadlines.
- Must be a team player, understanding that theatre is a collaborative discipline and success depends on a cohesive product.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to climb ladders.
- Ability to carry at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends as the production schedule dictates.
- Experience mixing live sound is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range for this position is $45,000 – $55,000.
- Health Insurance
- Retirement Contributions
- Paid Time Off/Vacation
- Flexible schedule as influenced by the production calendar
Theatre is full of magic that vibrates throughout the essence of art, imagination, culture, and history. We strive to provide theatre to our community and our city that is saturated in excellence, community, experience, inclusion, and influence. Our goal is to mount productions that reflect the growth and beauty of the diversity of Charlotte and we sincerely hope that our brothers and sisters in the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities will strongly consider applying for this position.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: carpentry, director, lighting, production, sound, technical director, and theatre. States: North Carolina.
Please Share the Technical Director job: