Dance Place is hiring!
We are seeking a dynamic, motivated, and talented individual to join our team as the Technical Director for our nationally recognized, cultural arts center in Washington, DC.
This full-time, exempt position will bring support to our passion for building a sustainable community of artists, audiences, and students through high-quality performances, commissions, training, and educational programs. This is a hybrid work opportunity with an anticipated salary range of $53,000 – $55,000 annually.
Enjoy an exciting and inclusive team environment of movement artists who share a common goal of strengthening the dance field by investing deeply in artists and centering those who have been systemically excluded from such opportunities.
About the Role:
Reporting to our Artistic Director, the Technical Director will provide year-round, technical theater direction to enrich the field of dance, locally, nationally, and internationally. This position serves as a key production member of the Cafritz Foundation Theater technical staff, bearing the overall responsibility of the general maintenance and operations of the theater, scene shop, and backstage. The Technical Director will provide immediate supervision to the Audio and Video Supervisor and the Lighting Supervisor positions as well as the production overhire staff, technical crew, and interns.
The Technical Director will embrace our diverse organizational structure and align with our mission, values, and history to empower people of all identities—including artists, adult dance class students, audience members, and the youth of our robust education programs—to realize their artistic visions through the art of dance.
At a minimum, the Technical Director will be responsible for successfully carrying out the following duties:
- Lead Cafritz Foundation Theater production staff including Audio and Video Supervisor, Lighting Supervisor, work/study, technical theater interns, and overhire technicians as needed during all scheduled crew calls.
- Schedule the Dance Place crew (including staff, interns, work/study, and overhire when necessary) to enable the successful execution of all performances, rentals, and space and equipment maintenance.
- Generate, track and maintain production budgets in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Co-lead Dance Place production meetings in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Coordinate all technical needs for Dance Place performances and events.
- Coordinate all incoming and outgoing equipment rentals and purchases.
- Coordinate Cafritz Foundation Theater rentals with the Rentals Associate.
- Serve as the venue point person for artists in the Dance Place season.
- Create and maintain equipment wishlist and theater specifications documentation for internal and external use.
- Maintain theater to-do/maintenance list.
- Track and order supplies to ensure sufficient stock of consumables.
- Make non-capital purchasing decisions within budget to ensure equipment is functional and up-to-date.
- Communicate with Designers about their needs for Dance Place performances and lead the process of executing their designs.
- Lead, assist with, and participate in maintenance calls, load-ins, hang and focus calls, and technical and dress rehearsals as necessary to support the realization of Dance Place’s presentations.
- Maintain order of the Cafritz Foundation Theater, backstage, scene shop, and storage areas.
- Hire, schedule, and supervise overhire technicians, including determining when overhire is necessary.
About the Successful Candidate (Key Requirements, Skills & Qualifications):
To be optimally successful in this role, you must have the following:
- Minimum of four years of technical theater experience is required
- Minimum of two years of experience managing production staff members
- Capability to manage and, in the absence of staff availability, execute technical production tasks (i.e., lighting, audio/visual, etc.)
- Very strong background in lighting or audio/visual design
- Ability to work effectively in a hybrid work environment with the expectation of being onsite per the needs of the department
- Keen attention to detail with a focus on producing high-quality work products
- Strong collaboration skills to work seamlessly across all departmental groups
- Exceptional project management skills to ensure productions remain within scheduling timelines and budgetary limits
- Ability to regularly demonstrate strong self-motivation, strategic thinking, and the ability to work independently
Other highly desired skills include:
- Prior scenic experience will receive preferential consideration
- Hands-on experience with Vectorworks or other CAD software is a plus
- An appreciation for the art of dance is preferred
Heralded as the “hub of dance activity in Washington, DC”, Dance Place is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages qualified applicants from underrepresented communities to apply. We believe that people of color, people in the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, and women must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities to apply to our openings. For more information on our great organization, please visit our site at www.danceplace.org.
The Technical Director is eligible to participate in Dance Place’s benefits plan, including:
- Health care coverage
- Self-managed mental health and medical leave program
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- 401(k) savings plan with employer match
- Pre-tax travel benefits
- Free dance classes
- Free admission to Dance Place performances
Conditions of Employment:
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Due to the in-person nature of Dance Place’s work environment, those who wish to apply for this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is defined as two weeks after receiving the last eligible dosage, inclusive of booster shot(s). Candidates who are made a contingent offer of employment should be prepared to show proof of vaccination upon request.
If a successful candidate seeks an exemption to this policy due to a medical contraindication, disability, or a sincerely-held religious belief, the candidate must contact HR (email@example.com) no later than two calendar days after receiving a contingent offer of employment.
Candidates will also be required to comply with Dance Place’s current COVID-19 policy and procedures, including the utilization of a face covering that covers both the nose and mouth while indoors on campus and adhering to frequent hand sanitization to prevent the spread of illness. All information regarding vaccination status will be maintained in confidence in accordance with applicable laws.
Pre-employment Background Checks: A final offer of employment to a successful candidate will be contingent upon satisfactorily completing a thorough background check that yields favorable results.
How to Apply:
Email the following items to: firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Current resume or CV
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
Please include “Technical Director Application” as the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, performing arts, technical director, and technical theatre. States: DC.
Please Share the Technical Director job: