Applications are invited for a Technical Director for the performance venues at York College of Pennsylvania. The position is hosted in the Department of The Arts and Humanities.
The Technical Director is a full-time position working year-round with venue and production management in addition to a small teaching load.
Primary responsibilities for the position include:
- Lead and participate in all aspects of engineering, construction, load-ins, and strikes for specified events in the performance arts center.
- Depending on skill level, at times serve as an in-house production designer for events and a general aesthetic designer of some stage presentations and outside events
- Inventory and Purchasing for all shop, lighting, costume, and sound equipment
- Monitor budgets
- Manage production personnel including staff, student workers, and students in educational practicum positions
- Teaching one three-credit hour course each fall and spring semester (for those with a MA/MFA or higher)
- Work with Facilities Services on the facilities management of a large proscenium theatre and smaller black-box style theatre.
- Monitoring and oversight of safety rules for all productions and general auditing of facility safety and maintenance needs
- Work with Campus and Special Events on scheduling and space access for two performance spaces in heavy demand and with a variety of offices on technical support for a range of events (possibly including those of Campus Activities, Student Activities, Academic Departments, Administration, York Country Day School, and the York Community)
Events covered by the Technical Director are four Theatre events a semester (including Dance), three Music program events per semester, one Music Theatre production an academic year, fall and spring commencement, and up to six high profile Cultural Series events per academic year.
The Technical Director will report to the Chair of the Department of The Arts and Humanities and work closely with the Director of Campus and Special Events, the Director of Facility Services, and A/V Manager in Library and Technology Services. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with faculty members and staff in The Arts and Humanities as well as other academic departments.
The candidate should have a BA, MA, or MFA or higher in Theatre. Candidates with a MFA in Technical Theatre are strongly preferred. At least three years of experience in performing arts operations is required; however, collegiate experience can be counted toward that. The candidate is required to have expertise in carpentry/welding, rigging, light, and sound technologies. Additionally, the candidate should have excellent communication skills, a strong commitment to working as part of a collaborative team, attention to detail and safety, and planning and organizational skills.
Applicants will need to submit a letter of application, CV and three letters of recommendation. An electronic portfolio of work is encouraged, though not required.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates need to apply and/or before July 1, 2022.
To apply please use the following line: http://ycp.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=147913
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, director, management, music, performing arts, teaching, and technical director. States: Pennsylvania.
Please Share the Technical Director job: