A Noise Within seeks a Technical Director to oversee the production operations for all ANW productions.
The Technical Director is responsible for supervising all aspects of production construction, supervising all construction and running crews, working with the Production Manager and Costume Shop Manager to realize ANW’s productions, coordinating basic facilities maintenance, and contributing to a safe and equitable production environment.
ANW operates with an annual budget (in normal times) of $3.6 million and produces a 7-show main stage season in addition to collaborating with partner organizations for residencies and performances (Noise Now), periodic stage readings, fundraising events, and educational programs. As with all staff, the Technical Director will also have a role in implementing and contributing to ANW’s Strategic Plan and Anti-Racism Action Plan.
Right now: We are in the process of reopening and welcoming our community back to live in-person theatre. Having recently announced our 21-22 Season, we are slated to begin live performances in September. The TD will be involved with a team of staff members in planning for the health and safety of our artists, crews, and audiences.
A successful candidate will have:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a technical director, stage carpenter, or member of a production department
- Broad understanding of all aspects of technical theatre
- Experience overseeing production crews and either building scenery or working with external scene shops
- Proficiency with industry software such as CAD programs
- Proficiency with QLab
- A theatrical rigging certification or equivalent
- Experience reading ground plans, light plots, and other theatrical specifications and turning those plans into realized production elements on schedule and on budget
- Excellent communication skills including navigating technical and non-technical artistic conversations
- The ability to prioritize multiple simultaneous projects successfully and work effectively with artists, production teams, volunteers, and staff
Working conditions and physical demands:
- Ability to lift 35 lbs
- Ability to climb ladders and work off the ground in a Genie lift or in catwalks
- Ability to see in low-light conditions (such as a dark theater)
- Availability for night and weekend hours
- Ability to drive and a valid driver’s license
- Attend and advise on elements of production meetings
- Lead and supervise build and load-in
- Coordinate notes that arise during production rehearsal/tech
- Support Production Manager in staying on schedule and on budget for production projects
- Work with directors and design teams to ensure timely completion of all designs
- Supervise production personnel including electricians, carpenters, running crews, etc.
- Oversee (with Production Manager) inventory and maintenance of all lighting, shop, costume, and sound equipment
- Support productions with research on needs including video and projections, special effects, sourcing and researching materials and techniques, etc.
- Establish and maintain a safe work environment at all times
- Many others
COMPENSATION: The position is full time, non-exempt, salary range $58,240-62,000 annually DOE
- Health Insurance, to commence on the first of the month beginning no less than 30 days after employment start date (choice of PPO or HMO; ANW covers the cost of 100% of the HMO plan, dependent coverage or buy up to PPO is covered by the employee)
- 10 paid holidays
- Vacation, Personal, and Sick time
- Company-matched benefit savings plan
START DATE: Flexible
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and list of references (3-4) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please put “Technical Director – Candidate Last Name” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please, no follow up calls. ANW believes in working hard on our anti-racist practice across the whole organization and we invite candidates to review more information here.
Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, production, technical, and theatre. States: California.
Please Share the Technical Director job: