The Groundlings Inc→ Los Angeles, California, United States
Full-time, non-exempt, medical, dental, vision – starts June 1 (Part-time onboarding for 4 weeks in June)
THE GROUNDLINGS THEATRE & SCHOOL, a leading non-profit improv theatre in Los Angeles, seeks an experienced, proactive Technical Director to join our organization. The Tech Director will bring technical production expertise and strong organizational skills to the day-to-day operations and management of our venues. The TD reports directly to the Managing Director and supervises the tech and music staff.
- Hiring, training, developing, and scheduling the technicians & musicians.
- Maintaining and servicing sound and lighting units, board, instruments, mics, speakers, amplifiers, EQ’s and other equipment, in conjunction with sound, lighting, and crew staff.
- Designing, coordinating, and executing any new construction, set pieces, props, or changes within our school, performance, and staff spaces.
- Supervising and coordinating with a Part-time Facility Manager on regular maintenance work, such as carpet cleaning, plumbing maintenance, pest control, and HVAC maintenance and execution of special projects
- Overseeing productions’ technical development including prompt and effective communications between the directors, cast, and crew. Responsible for ensuring a safe working environment for all personnel.
- Partnering with the Managing Director on tracking and planning monthly budget.
- Building/finding props/set pieces for shows.
- Subbing in for crew positions as needed.
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
- Strong organizational and time management skills, and a self-starter mentality.
- Experience with theatre arts organizations or performance venues
- Ability to work creatively and independently with superior problem-solving skills.
- Forward-looking thinker who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with leadership, directors, cast, and crew
- Ability to lead the coordination of cross-departmental efforts.
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as required.
- 3+ years of experience in production, experience with prop building a plus
- Knowledge and experience with sound systems, lighting systems, and band setup
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried position, but will be part-time for training for the first 4 weeks–we’re looking to start someone in early June. Employee benefits include excellent health, vision, and dental insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, flexible paid vacation and sick time, and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, fun environment. $52-55K
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
The Groundlings School is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage folks of the global majority, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive, inclusive work environment for all identities.
How to Apply
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please include your name and “Technical Director” in the subject line.
The Groundlings Inc
Los Angeles, California, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: education, non-profit, performing arts, recruitment, school, technical director, and technical theatre. States: California.