Full-Time Senior Lecturer in Media and Performance
The Committee on Theater, Dance & Media seeks applications for a Senior Lecturer in Media and Performance.
The appointment will begin on January 1, 2021.
The Senior Lecturer in Media and Performance will teach four courses per year at the undergraduate level, including possibly sophomore and/or junior tutorials.
- Teach one practical course per term, providing instruction in such topics as: audio and video design and production for dance, theater, or installation; digital media production; VR, AR and game design; mixed-media storytelling; time-based art.
- Teach one “hybrid” course per term, combining production with readings in such fields as: media theory and media anthropology; dramaturgy and theater/ dance history; contemporary art, including new media and digital practice; gender and sexuality; social movements and activism; political science and global cultures.
- Advise and evaluate multiple senior theses.
- Serve on Theater, Dance & Media and University Committees.
The Senior Lecturer position is a five-year renewable appointment and is renewable contingent upon review.
Terminal degree or equivalent experience in Performance/Theater (with concentration in Media), Fine Arts (including New Media and Social Practice), Filmmaking, or Video and Sound Design; and at least three years of professional experience.
Familiarity with relevant technologies, such as analog film, digital video, lighting and audio technology; fluency in the history and theory of new media in theater, dance and contemporary art; and a demonstrated strong commitment to teaching are desired.
How to Apply
Please submit the following materials through the ARIeS portal (https://academicpositions.harvard.edu).
Candidates are encouraged to apply by May 10, 2020; applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
- Cover letter, including a description of teaching approach and philosophy, and comments on any efforts to encourage diversity, inclusion and belonging in the classroom and artistic work.
- Artist’s statement, with reference to key works
- Curriculum Vitae
- Syllabi for two proposed undergraduate courses, one purely practice-based course, and one hybrid course involving readings in the history and theory of media alongside practice-based assignments.
- Optional: evidence of teaching effectiveness, such as recent teaching evaluations
- A link to one or two representative samples of creative work from the past five years (no more than 10 minutes total), with a brief description of each work
- Names and contact information of five references. (Three letters of recommendation are required. Recommendations are requested by May 18, 2020.)
Harvard is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, media, teaching, and university. States: Massachusetts.
Please Share the Senior Lecturer in Media and Performance job: