Full-Time Senior Exhibition Designer
The Senior Exhibition Designer will realize exhibitions, installations, and capital projects from concept to production including construction administration in collaboration with curators, conservators, and the museums construction managers. This includes presentation materials, renderings, and construction drawings as needed from preliminary space planning and budgeting exercises through concept/ schematic/ and design development phases including construction drawings for any needed casework.
This position will collaborate with other exhibition designers and curators, bringing best museum practices, and a variety of creative strategies to the table.
The Senior Exhibition Designer must have the capacity to collaborate with the design team in all phases of an exhibition and be able to effectively communicate with external consultants from case manufacturers to architects, designers, media consultants and other types of expertise in order to realize the display needs of the art within a comprehensive exhibition experience. They should have experience creating design documents, familiarity with construction bid packages, custom millwork detailing and possess the technical and rendering skills (Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc.) to develop, present and test design ideas visually. This person will collaborate with Design Managers to bring enhanced design potential to shows at all three Met locations, create presentation models, make scale maquettes, and research visual / fabrication materials. This person may also work on institutional projects that require three-dimensional thinking, rendering, or visitor experience design.
- Develop exhibition design concept, including sensible circulation and planning, art displays containing casework/ millwork, etc. in collaboration with curators across all three Met locations
- Coordinate with conservators, curators, and lighting designers to ensure safe display of objects according to best practices
- Collaborate with curators, buildings, Exhibitions, and other museum staff, outside designers, and architects as required for the successful implementation of the exhibition and gallery design
- Prepare design document drawings, floor plans, detail drawings, case lists or schedules for internal museum reviews and construction bid documents as needed
- Coordinate fabrication with in-house production team or outside vendors when needed
- Help facilitate communication with Design Managers and Exhibitions throughout all major projects, installations, or exhibitions as assigned
- Construct models or mock ups for design and presentation purposes
- Possess a high level of organization and file management
- Meet schedule and budget requirements
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Skills:
- At least five to eight years of experience in exhibition design or architectural practice including work on significant exhibition projects or buildings
- Strong skills in conceptual design, detailing, and presentation through graphics and media, including renderings and screen-based presentation
- Strong organizational and design presentation skills
- Full knowledge of construction phasing, techniques, fabrication skills, material selection, and project management
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Vectorworks, or Rhino with strong rendering ability is required
- Experience and knowledge of proper art handling procedures and art or object installation and display experience preferred
- Good communication skills and ability to function as part of a team
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
Knowledge and Education:
- B.A. degree in exhibition design, architecture, industrial design or equivalent field of work is required. MFA or MArch preferred.
- Modelmaking, good handcraft skills, and knowledge of construction techniques are required
- Museum exhibition design experience preferred
- Portfolio submission required
How to Apply
Please visit our Career Opportunities page to view and apply for current open positions.
Apply online at metmuseum.org/../career-opportunities
About the MET
The Metropolitan Museum of Art collects, studies, conserves, and presents significant works of art across all times and cultures in order to connect people to creativity, knowledge, and ideas.
The Met presents over 5,000 years of art from around the world for everyone to experience and enjoy. The Museum lives in three iconic sites in New York City—The Met Fifth Avenue, The Met Breuer, and The Met Cloisters. Since it was founded in 1870, The Met has always aspired to be more than a treasury of rare and beautiful objects. Every day, art comes alive in the Museum’s galleries and through its exhibitions and events, revealing both new ideas and unexpected connections across time and across cultures.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, design, designer, exhibition, and museum. States: New York.
Please Share the Senior Exhibition Designer job: