Scenic Manager→ North East, Maryland, United States
The Milburn Stone Theatre at Cecil College in North East, Maryland is currently in the process of hiring a Scenic Manager and is currently seeking candidates for the position.
The Scenic Manager creates working drawings for the Scenic Shop to utilize in building set designs submitted for productions. They work with the Stage & Rigging Foreperson and Production Assistants to complete the building of sets for all in house production. They assist with load in and set up of all community partner events and helps to maintain the cleanliness and organization of the theatre and its storage areas.
Due to the need of interaction with students, employees, and the college community this position requires in person presence.
The Scenic Manager reports to the Director of Milburn Stone Theatre
- Familiar with each script and all set construction plans, drawings, sketches, renderings, models and familiar with design software such as AutoCAD and Vectorworks.
- Acts as Set Designer on in house productions.
- Formulates working drawings for the shop and generates a schedule for scenery construction.
- Advises the Set Designer on the technical specifications, usage of technical equipment required for productions. Reviews, approves, and assists in implementation of final designs.
- In collaboration with the Director & Artistic Director, asses the scenic needs and responsibilities for each community partner company
- Acts as Set Designer for in house productions in the absence of a qualified contractor if one cannot be determined. Works with productions staff of the production in the creation of the set design.
- In collaboration with the Stage & Rigging Forman, coordinates the strike of all scenic and fly elements of all productions and supervise a crew during strike to make certain that tools and materials are used and stored properly.
- Constructs scenery for all in-house productions including, but not limited to welding, carpentry, rigging, painting, etc.
- Plans and leads all load-ins and set-up of set pieces.
- In collaboration with the Stage & Rigging Foreperson, coordinates the strike of all scenic and fly elements of all productions and supervise a crew during strike to make certain that tools and materials are used and stored properly.
- In collaboration with the Stage & Rigging Forman and Lighting & Audio Technician maintains the inventory of all theatre stock including proper storage, cleaning, and replacement.
- Assess supply needs for the workshop and completes purchases in collaboration with the Director.
- Communicates regularly and clearly with the Director.
- Maintains the safety and cleanliness of all workspaces.
- Enforces safe work habits in all workplaces.
- Drives company vehicles as well as rentals when needed.
- Makes repairs during the run of the show as needed.
- Assists with the training and instruction of Production Assistants.
- Assists in training, assignments, and supervision of Run Crew for individual shows.
- Assigns appropriate tasks to the production assistants and supervises them.
- When requested, will attend production meetings and tech rehearsals in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting the show.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Carpentry Certifications
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in related fields preferred
This is a full-time, year round position at Cecil College with a full benefits package (health, dental, vision, PTO & retirement options) with a salary starting at $50k
To apply, please visit: careers.jobscore.com/careers/cecilcollege/jobs/sce…↗↗..
Deadline: For best consideration please apply by September 15, 2023 (Job open until filled)
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: designer, performing arts, Scenic, and theatre. States: Maryland.