Scenic Construction Tutor
Alongside the Programme Leader – Production Arts and other colleagues, develop and deliver training and assessment in Scenic Building and manage the output of the workshop to a world-leading standard.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Programme Leader – Production Arts of the Academy, the Scenic Construction Tutor shall execute the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Leadership and training of students on the production arts courses in scenic building and relevant technologies.
- Contributing to the Academy’s commitment to the continuous raising of standards in the training of students for careers in the arts and entertainment industry and development of new technologies.
- Maintaining the professional currency of the training in scenic building and new technologies through contact with the industry, for both staff development and to maintain a professional currency of the curriculum.
Training and Tuition:
- Developing the construction syllabus for the BA Production Arts programme.
- Teaching all Undergrad and Postgrad the construction syllabi.
- Supervision and guidance of students fulfilling a construction role on Academy productions and projects, working with external creatives and the Academy Production Manager.
- Assessment of students fulfilling a construction role on Academy productions and projects.
- Close liaison with other departments, in particular those relating to production.
- Maintaining and communicating to other departments a schedule of the Workshop’s activities.
- Other related duties that may arise as a member of the Production Arts programme team.
- To manage spending and reconciliation of any budget designated.
- To research and propose any capital expenditure to keep in line with current industry developments.
Health and Safety:
- To engage with relevant Health and Safety training regarding the teaching and delivery of construction.
- To be familiar with, and comply with current Health and Safety regulations relevant to the industry.
- To ensure that personnel and students adhere to safe working practices.
The Scenic Construction Tutor is part of the Teaching Faculty, directly responsible to the Programme Leader – Production Arts.
Knowledge and Experience
- Relevant undergraduate qualification.
- A strong background of at least five years of working in professional theatre workshop in a producing environment.
- Conversant with current and developing scenic construction techniques.
- Strong understanding of CAD programmes.
- Flexible approach to working and developing the post.
- A determined and efficient individual.
- Relevant postgraduate qualification.
- Budget Management.
- Experience of teaching and working at HE level.
- Decision making and solving problems
- Building teams and communication
- Facilitating change
- Driving results
- Managing Stakeholders
Sharjah Performing Arts Academy (SPAA) is an independent Academy established by His Highness, Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Ruler of Sharjah, to address a growing demand in the UAE and MENA region for formal quality education and professional training in the performing arts sector. SPAA is the only performing arts conservatoire in the MENA region, offering quality undergraduate and graduate degree programmes taught in English. The purpose-built Academy comprises of one 432 seat theatre, two fully equipped studio performance spaces, TV/recording studios, twelve sprung rehearsal studios, 12 singing tutorial spaces, resource library, gymnasium and cafe.
Sharjah Performing Arts Academy specialises in training graduates for work in the international professional performing arts industry. The faculty working at SPAA are highly experienced practitioners within their respective fields. The focus of the Academy is practical rather than academic. The central value for a SPAA graduate is arming them with the highest levels of practical skills for their field and giving them the tools to be able to successfully generate their own work or practice.
Sharjah Performing Arts Academy is a complex performing arts institution. Effective coordination between departments and courses is a high priority to ensure that resources are appropriately shared and quality in teaching and learning is maintained throughout the Academy.
The Staff Handbook is an important resource for all employees. It sets out the expectations and important conditions of your employment.
- The post holder must accept responsibility for ensuring that SPAA policies and procedures relating to Health and Safety in the workplace are adhered to at all times.
- The post holder must respect the confidentiality of data.
- This is a full-time post based at Sharjah Performing Arts Academy, University City, Sharjah, UAE.
- This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required of the Scenic Construction Tutor. It is not wholly comprehensive or restrictive and may be reviewed with the post holder and line manager as required and in line with the growth of the Academy.
- The Staff Handbook will be sent to you via email.
- Sharjah Performing Arts Academy offers a highly competitive salary, residency visa, full medical Insurance cover, living/schooling allowances and annual flight to country of residence.
- Note: due to licensing requirements and safeguarding policies, any individual offered a position will be required to submit a background check/DBS/Police check.
Please send a maximum one (1) page cover letter with your most current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on Sunday, 15 August 2021.
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, arts education, performing arts, and teaching. States: - outside the USA.
Please Share the Scenic Construction Tutor job: