Full-Time Scenic and Lighting Designer
Applicants should possess at least a BFA or BA in Scenic and/or Lighting Design or equivalent experience and have experience working in a theatrical Scenic shop. Applicants must possess a mastery of scenic design skills, experience in scenic painting, basic knowledge of carpentry and crafts, extensive knowledge of lighting design and ability to work with intelligent lighting equipment. Experience in a supervisory position would be a plus.
The candidate must also have an interest in teaching and mentoring students who have an interest in Scenic arts.
Candidate must have demonstrated proficiency in all areas of scenic and lighting design.
We are seeking applicants who possess imagination, flexibility and the desire to work with a variety of people of various ages in a creatively charged and artistically demanding, yet nurturing environment. Applicants must be ready to work as a member of a strong creative team, and to work quickly towards the end goal, while still giving focus to detail and the artistic process. The ideal candidate is resourceful, organized and able to handle multiple projects at once and possesses grace and a sense of humor under pressure.
Erie Playhouse Scenic and Lighting Designer will be expected to:
- Design all scenic and lighting elements for all Erie Playhouse Mainstage, Youtheatre and Special Events (where applicable). The Designer must ensure that designs work within budget parameters utilizing existing scenic elements when possible.
- Perform and oversee painting of each set or utilize contract or volunteer artists for detailed painting work.
- Complete the set design in time to allow adequate construction time.
- Provide detailed construction plans for the shop manager and be available to answer questions concerning designs.
- Ability to collaborate with directors and choreographers in achieving the final designs.
- Work with the scenic shop manager and Assistant in setting lights and organizing and overseeing move in and strikes.
- Acquire and or build props when requested.
- Work with shop manager to coordinate the cleaning and proper storage of scenery and equipment in a timely manner. Maintain the backstage areas in a neat, safe uncluttered way.
- Attend production, staff and occasional board meetings and all production/dress rehearsals.
- Work with scenic staff in maintaining shop equipment and storage facilities.
- Manage outside rentals of Erie Playhouse scenic and prop stock, with assistance of Shop Manager and Assistant.
- Obtain all necessary clearances.
- Strong understanding on theatrical standards where safety is concerned in both rigging and onstage playing spaces
- Prepare an annual budget and meet established budget requirements. Maintain accurate show budgets, maintain organized receipts and report to Business manager.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and occasionally be able to drive and maneuver large trucks.
- Work with the Producing Director and Board facilities committee in maintaining and identifying facility issues and making minor repairs when applicable.
- Work with actors, directors, set designer, costume staff, costume volunteers, and the Erie Playhouse Producing and Executive Directors in a collaborative spirit.
- Applicant must be in good health, be able to climb stairs and ladders, able to work in high places and be able to lift and carry heavy objects.
Erie Playhouse Facilities includes:
- 400 seat theatre
- Recently renovated stage and intelligent lighting grid.
- Dressing rooms
- Offices and storage
- A separate building that houses Costume, Scenic Shops, storage and rehearsal space.
The Erie Playhouse season runs year long. The Playhouse is in its 102th season of operation in downtown Erie Pa. Erie is a vibrant, active city with a strong theatre community. We are seeking artists who are interested in being stable members of our creative team.
Job Start Date Immediately
Salary: $36,000.00 with full benefit package.
How to Apply
Please send letter of interest, work samples and resume to:
13 W 10th Street
Erie, Pa 16501
No Phone calls please.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: design, designer, teaching, and theatre. States: Pennsylvania.
Please Share the Scenic and Lighting Designer job: