Tia Collection Registrar Job Description
Tia Collection is seeking an experienced candidate to address the diverse duties of the registrar position for a private art collection in Santa Fe, NM. Responsibilities include daily management of collection inventory (3,300 works of art and counting), while working directly with the curator of the collection, media manager and collections manager.
Must be extremely well organized and self-directed, able to handle multiple projects at once in a very fast paced work environment and process large amounts of data simultaneously, both in digital and paper formats. Strong writing and research skills are necessary as well. The successful candidate will also be able to interact confidently with all levels of museum directors, curators and registrars.
The mission of the art collection is to share artwork from the collection with museum around the world, either via long term loans and/or specific to exhibitions.
Job Type: Full-time, Monday through Friday 9 to 5pm with an hour for lunch.
Health insurance, vacation and sick days and a retirement program are offered.
- Catalogue all incoming and outgoing artwork and maintain extensive inventory database on WordPress platform.
- Prepare and maintain hardcopy files of all artwork.
- Assist with collection management and storage.
- Support the upload and maintenance of accurate artwork data on WordPress digital platform, as well as monitoring the viewing of this data on the collection’s private website.
- Prepare condition reports upon receipt of artwork and prior to shipment for exhibitions. Work with registrar’s at partner museums in regard to the condition report online platform, as well as maintaining packing/installation instructions and sharing these too.
- Maintain records and location of crates and strongboxes in garage storage.
- Order basic office supplies and shipping materials as necessary.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university required, with course work in art, art history, museum studies or related field.
- One year of museum or gallery registration and/or collections management experience preferred. Knowledge of American Art and a familiarity with artist’s materials.
- Knowledge of collections management practices and procedures including art handling, storage, tracking of objects and working with conservator and framers.
- Proficient computer skills with Apple products; WordPress database management/private website experience and strong spreadsheet skills highly desirable.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both in writing and speaking.
- Ability to independently develop, implement and manage organizational procedures.
- Self-directed with an ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Strong follow-up skills with meticulous and accurate attention to detail.
- Ability to work within a team environment and to accept guidance and constructive feedback.
- Ability to understand and maintain the highest levels of confidentiality.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record required.
- The successful candidates will be required to pass a routine background check.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Required to handle and inspect works of art, including paintings, photographs, and sculpture.
- Pack and crate artwork for loans.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Required to create written descriptions of inspected items.
- Job duties require prolonged standing and bending, as well as sitting and working at a desk for prolonged periods of time when working on the computer.
- Good hand/eye coordination is required, including the ability to inspect an object at close range. Position requires adept use of hands to safely handle and move collection objects according to the most current approved museum standards.
- Work is performed in a storage/office setting where the noise level is low to moderate and off-site at various museum settings.
To be considered for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This is not intended to be a description of all tasks and job requirements. The job description is subject to change and other duties may be added or assigned at any time. Tia Collection is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts management, exhibition, gallery, and museum. States: New Mexico.
Please Share the Registrar job: