Full-Time Education Director
Florida Theatre Performing Arts Center, Inc., the nonprofit corporation managing and programming the historic Florida Theatre in downtown Jacksonville, Florida, seeks an Education Director to establish and grow a brand new education department. The 2,000 seat Florida Theatre, open since 1927, is a Pollstar Top 100 venue serving the 12th largest city in the U.S. with 175-200 performing arts events annually.
This is a unique opportunity for the right candidate to establish and lead a new program department within the Florida Theatre organization. We seek to create a broad based education program in music, dance and theatre that serves the needs of the local community, and students of all ages and abilities. We envision a mix of tuition based lessons and classes, as well as sponsored outreach programs in the community.
The Education Director will be responsible for creating the program and growing it as a financially self-sustaining program within the organization. The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial educator who is comfortable generating revenue, sustaining a budget, and working collaboratively with peer colleagues within the organization, including programming, marketing, development, and finance. The Education Director will:
- Identify areas of arts education that are underserved in the market, and establish a vision for the Florida Theatre’s education program that meets these needs.
- Recruit and manage program staff and teaching artists.
- Teach some classes and workshops yourself.
- Develop measurements to monitor and improve program and student outcomes.
- Work closely with the Finance Director to develop and monitor the program budget to meet financial and educational goals.
- Explore strategic partnerships with local and regional schools and organizations.
- Work closely with the VP of Programming to offer master classes and workshops by visiting performers when possible.
- Work closely with the Marketing Director to build tuition based enrollment.
- Work closely with the Development Director on business, foundation and government grant applications; and opportunities for individuals to support the program.
- Cultivate relationships with stakeholders including students, program families, donors and potential donors.
- Be an advocate for arts education and represent the Florida Theatre in the local and national arts education communities.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of planning, executing and growing education programs, including the supervision of personnel and budgets, and will be a team builder, a strategic thinker, and an excellent communicator.
The Education Director will report to the President. This is a full-time position on the senior staff of the organization. Salary is commensurate with experience, plus health insurance, retirement contribution, and paid vacation. A Master’s degree in an appropriate field plus at least 5 years leadership or managerial experience in a nonprofit arts organization or appropriate educational setting is required.
Please send a resume, a cover letter describing your interest, and at least three references to:
Numa Saisselin, President, Florida Theatre, 127 East Forsyth Street, Suite 300, Jacksonville, Florida 32202, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Share the Education Director job: