Regional Visual Arts Curator
Position: Regional Visual Arts Curator
Location: Artpark, Lewiston, New York
Artpark & Company is seeking a Regional curator to work in partnership with the Global Curator and the President of Artpark on the selection, management, and support of artists’ projects integral to the newly established Visual and Public Arts strategy. Both the Regional and Global curators will have extensive bandwidth for artistic, funding and marketing capacities.
The Regional Curator/Visual Arts Operations Manager will curate regional artists and oversee production, budgeting and maintenance of all new and existing public art works.
The three-year Visual Arts Plan will focus on the following programmatic agenda: Laboratory, Interaction, Restoration and Wayfinding.
Through the development of these programs, we will grow an Artpark that is:
- a place where arts and a clean environment are accessible to all.
- a generative laboratory where issues affecting modern society and the environment are made tangible through artistic investigation and expression.
- an institution promoting cultural democracy, equity, and inclusion at every level.
Artpark’s renewed artistic strategy holds that artists ignite the imagination to inspire a new vision for a sustainable future. This program supports artist-led multi-disciplined teams creating works that promote a deeper understanding of history and the natural systems and human infrastructures that support contemporary life. The program expands the region’s profile as an unparalleled destination to experience natural beauty of the Niagara region.
The Regional Curator is an on site year-round full-time basis position.
Regional Curator/Visual Arts Manager Position Description
- The position will serve as the Operating core of the Visual Arts department at Artpark responsible for upheld regional art strategy, annual budget, production, safety and operations of all existing and new work on the site.
- The position will oversee all existing Artpark outdoor public art installations, including the assessment and supervision of repairs, removal, rebuilding and managing of art production staff and contractors required for their maintenance, procuring necessary materials within an established annual budget.
- The position will curate and supervise any temporary and new art installations, including identifying and procuring necessary resources, labor, permits and approvals from Artpark President and the Office of New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
- The Regional Curator will coordinate with an off-site Global Curator and support the development of projects and successfully complete those projects with minimal supervision.
- The Regional Curator will develop accurate and obtainable annual program budgets and complete those projects on time and within budget.
- The position will manage installations of the visual elements of outdoor festivals and community events offering arts and crafts to the public.
- The position will serve as the liaison with local arts community.
- The position will assist visiting artists in their residency needs, including materials, hiring crew members, and arranging for transportation and housing.
- The Regional curator will partner with the Global Curator on program execution, work closely with Artpark’s development, marketing and education teams on fundraising, promotions and outreach. Curator will coordinate with the Indigenous Arts Producer on events that include contemporary and indigenous art.
- Regional Curator will report to the President of Artpark on overall strategy and major developments as well as collaborative progress with the Global curator and Artpark operations and administrative team.
- At least five years of curatorial experience in multiple organizations with hands on curatorial, and operational proof record.
- Master’s Degree preferred, architectural/engineering degree a plus.
- Exemplary technical and communication skills are required.
- Self-starter “producer-type” with ability to work independently and entrepreneurially, and to function effectively within a team and seeing through all aspects of a successful installation: curatorial planning, funding, operating and marketing.
- Existing and strong connection with the regional and hyper-local artistic community, established relationship with potential staff and vendors required for art production.
- Technical, architectural, and engineering acumen or formal education relevant for production aspects of outdoor public art installations. An architectural or engineering degree is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Personal and professional commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion in the arts.
- Proficient in MS Office, project management and remote communication systems
- Ability/willingness to travel.
- Walking long distances up and down hills, lifting up to 35 pounds.
- Basic knowledge of tools and their safe usage, knowledge of public art safety requirements.
- Most work will be performed outdoors, sometimes in inclement weather.
- Work may be performed at night and on weekends.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $55,000-$65,000 annual salary, commensurate with experience
- Paid vacations and holidays
- Health insurance plan (Artpark contributes 80% toward single or family plan)
- This is a full time exempt position with flexible work schedule including the possibility of working partial week remotely, with a minimum of 20 average hours a week on site off season and 40 during the months of May-August.
- 3% contribution to a Simple IRA plan
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing your relevant background and skills, plus three references. Applications will be reviewed as received, and the position will remain open until a candidate is hired.
Please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Regional Curator Position
Artpark is an equal-opportunity employer.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: architecture, arts, curator, and manager. States: New York.
Please Share the Regional Visual Arts Curator job: