LA Opera is seeking a Production Manager. Reporting to our Production Director.
This position is responsible for day-to-day functions of the Production Department related to the company’s mainstage productions, season planning, and production rentals.
• Production Manager
• Production Department
About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles.
Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity
LA Opera is seeking a Production Manager. Reporting to our Production Director, this position is responsible for day-to-day functions of the Production Department related to the company’s mainstage productions, season planning, and production rentals. The Production Manager also oversees budgeting, scheduling, and managing the ensemble performers within the Production department—including Chorus, Supers, Dancers, and Child Performers.
This position is a full-time, exempt position on our administrative staff, based at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. The regular schedule for this position is Monday through Friday and also includes frequent weekend and evening work at certain points during the season.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Managing day-to-day production and administrative operations of the Production Department
- Generating and managing calendar of Production Department activities and deadlines
- Tracking and communicating Production needs to Technical, Costume, and other company departments
- Supporting stage management staff with rehearsal logistics
- Attending rehearsals and performances on an as needed basis
- Maintaining records of past, present and future productions for archival, rental and planning purposes. Distribute rental information to rental partners as needed.
- Casting/recruiting, onboarding, scheduling, and managing Chorus, Dancers, Supernumeraries, and Child Performers (casting for performing roles is with guidance from and in consultation with creative team members)
- Administering LA Opera’s collective bargaining agreement with AGMA as it relates to Chorus and Dancers
- Managing Child Performers and Studio Teachers in compliance with California Labor Laws
- Generating and submitting weekly payroll for performing groups
- Maintaining records for employees and artists in purview, including attendance data, performance history, and disciplinary records
- Organizing and managing auditions for Chorus, Dancers, Supernumeraries and Child performers
- Participating in and assisting with AGMA negotiations
Who we’re looking for
We are seeking candidates with knowledge of performing arts production (opera production experience preferred) and prior experience in stage management and/or production management. Experience in a unionized work environment is desirable.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office and the aptitude to learn new systems and applications is important.
Successful candidates will demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, be very organized and detail-oriented, and possess high emotional intelligence and interpersonal savvy when dealing with a variety of personalities.
The ability to handle confidential information sensitively and discreetly is also vital.
We are committed to a workplace in which everyone has equitable opportunities and support and that fosters a sense of belonging, and we are seeking a Production Manager who champions and demonstrates this commitment.
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in arts administration are especially encouraged to apply.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send their resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com.
Please format the subject line as “Production Manager – [First Name] [Last Name].
Applicants received by June 3 will be given priority consideration.
LA Opera has a COVID vaccination policy for employees, which requires employees to be up to date on their vaccines (meaning an original vaccine series plus a booster when eligible, as determined by the CDC eligibility schedule). Further information about the policy will be provided to candidates in the interview process.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: manager, opera, performing arts, production, and production manager. States: California.
Please Share the Production Manager job: