The 5th Avenue Theatre is seeking a Production Carpenter to join our team.
About The 5th
The 5th Avenue Theatre is one of America’s leading musical theater companies. We enrich the community we love with the art form we love—giving the Pacific Northwest a front-row seat to original powerhouse productions that go on to light up marquees and audiences all the way to Broadway. From the page to the stage, we bring passion and epic scale to every musical we create. With big talent. Bigger-than-life productions. And did we mention dazzle? As a nonprofit theater company and our region’s largest performing arts employer, we spread the joy of great musicals with people of all ages across our region and state.
Each year, we reach more than 75,000 young people through our nationally acclaimed education programs. Programs designed to develop new musicals ensure that the next generation of great musicals will be there to tell the stories that captivate tomorrow’s audiences. On the national stage, we are a leading voice for the power of this American art form to lift the human spirit.
For more information about The 5th Avenue Theatre, its season and its programs, please visit www.5thavenue.org
The 5th Avenue Theatre and the communities we serve are on the land and waterways of the Coast Salish people who have continuously inhabited our region since time immemorial. They are the original storytellers and theater-makers of this place we call home.
We also acknowledge and honor the Tribal nations across Washington State and the many Indigenous peoples from across the country who also live and work in the Seattle area. As we step into this new period of The 5th’s history, we hope to honor their legacies and bring greater attention to their continuing fight for equity and recognition.
At The 5th Avenue Theatre, we are actively working towards goals as an anti-racist organization, you can learn more about our work and statement here: www.5thavenue.org/about/anti-racism-at-the-5th/
The 5th Avenue Theatre has an opening for the new position of Production Carpenter. This position will begin immediately upon hire in accordance with the schedule as outlined below. The Production Carpenter works with the Technical Director, Head Carpenter and affected Department Heads to plan carpentry department season and show labor, projects, budgets and equipment needs. This position is represented by IATSE, Local No. 15.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with the Technical Director and Scenic Designer to determine the overall scenic and automation specifications for each production.
• Assist the technical and creative teams in planning and development of production scenery, fabrication, modification and production infrastructure projects.
• Create scenic load in/load out plans for locally produced shows with the Head Carpenter and affected Department Heads.
• Participate in design, creative or staff meetings as appropriate, as determined by the Technical Director and the Production Department Heads.
• In conjunction with the Carpentry Department prepare, install and remove scenery, rigging or automation systems and equipment for a production.
• Comply with all safety and security procedures related to the show and The 5th Avenue Theatre’s safety policies.
• Comply with the policies and procedures of The 5th Avenue Theatre, including personnel rules and collective bargaining agreements.
Essential knowledge and Qualifications:
• The successful candidate will be a proficient production or stage carpenter with strong experience in large scale theatrical productions that include moving scenery and automation, planning load-ins and load-outs, and other responsibilities listed under “Primary Duties.”
• Work at The 5th Avenue Theatre requires collegial and positive collaborations with designers, directors, stage managers, and staff, therefore, excellent interpersonal, diplomacy and communication skills are required, along with good problem solving skills within typical non-deferrable theatrical deadlines.
• A demonstrated ability to work as a team or independently is required.
• The Production Carpenter position is a physically demanding job that will require applicant to perform tasks that include, but are not limited to, working at heights, lifting and twisting with heavy objects, and long periods of time on their feet.
Compensation & Benefits:
The pay rate is the current IATSE, Local No. 15 contract rate plus 6%, currently at $38.15 an hour. Benefits are provided through Local 15 according to the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
This position has a 46 week guarantee in a subscription season. As this is a mid-season hire, the number of weeks available in the current season will be a percentage of that guarantee.
Application information & Timeline:
Applications from those who have been traditionally underrepresented in the theatrical industry are strongly encouraged. We are striving for our staff to be inclusive of a diverse and vibrant community that represents multiple identities, perspectives & influences. To apply, please email a cover letter, resume & 3 references by October 4th, 2021 that explains your qualifications for the position to HumanResources@5thavenue.org.
Union membership is not required to apply for this position, however this is a represented position by IATSE Local No 15 and is subject to the dues and responsibilities as laid out in the current collective bargaining agreement.
Please include “Production Carpenter” in the subject line.
A background check will be required upon offer of position.
The 5th Avenue Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The 5th Avenue will be requiring Covid-19 Vaccinations for all employees as of October, 4th 2021, with considerations for Medical & Religious exemptions.
The 5th Avenue Theatre, located in the Skinner Building at 1326 5th Avenue, in downtown
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: carpenter, carpentry, production, and theatre. States: Washington.
Please Share the Production Carpenter job: