On-Call Stage Technician
On-Call Stage Technician
Exempt Overtime Eligible:
Benefits Eligible: Non-Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world’s brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Event Productions unit, situated within the Office of Strategic Communications, connects Caltech to the broader community and donors through the presentation of high-quality public events and programs. These programs may include the presentation of researchers and lecturers from Caltech as well as professional artists and performers from a broad range of disciplines. This Stage Technician position supports programs held in the Caltech auditoriums and on the Beckman Mall. The Stage Technician will be an on-call member of the professional staff that will perform a variety of tasks involved in stage production including; audio engineering/system set-up and support, lighting installation/focus, light board operation, follow spot operation, projection system operation, staging/equipment installation and operation for scheduled events.
This is an on-call position. The work schedule is assigned based on the event schedule. Some evening and weekend work required.
The successful candidate will be able to work collaboratively with team members in Event Production, Public Programming, and more broadly across OSC and campus. The ability to adeptly identify the goals, objectives, and needs of an event, and to execute the work in a manner that is both professional and respectful of all involved is essential.
Essential Job Duties
- Lighting support for scheduled events in the Caltech auditoriums. Work in collaboration with production staff to execute light hangs, focus, strike, and restoration of all production lighting equipment. Operate light boards for select events. Operate follow spot for select events.
- Audio support for scheduled events in the Caltech auditoriums. Work in collaboration with production staff to execute audio load-ins, sound checks, performances, strike, and restoration of all production audio equipment. Operate sound consoles for select events.
- Audio/Visual support for scheduled events in the Caltech auditoriums. Work in collaboration with production staff to execute set up and operation of audio/visual equipment including projectors, computers, video playback and recording equipment, etc.
- Perform the physical duties necessary for the set-up and strike of all scheduled events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform work in accordance with Institute and regulatory agencies (e.g., OSHA) safety standards and practices.
- High School education or equivalent plus 2-3 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to apply advanced technical skills in event support and services.
- Ability to evaluate and apply standard techniques, tools, materials, procedures and/or equipment to accomplish tasks.
- Expertise and experience in adequately troubleshooting equipment malfunctions, modifications, upgrades, repairs, etc.
- Ability to use hand tools and electronic instruments.
- Proficiency in the operation of theatrical technical equipment including lighting instruments, dimmers, follow spots, lighting control surfaces, audio consoles, microphones, wireless microphone systems, and projection systems.
- Effective problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a self-directed manner, and collaboratively as part of a team.
- A pre-employment background investigation is required.
- Physical strength to lift up to 50 pounds on a daily basis, including moving stage sets and props, audio equipment and lighting equipment. Agility to bend in all directions, climb stairs and ladders, squeeze with arms and hands, operate machinery, and work outdoors in all kinds of weather. Demonstrate the ability to practice and adhere to organizational values.
- Knowledge and experience with programming ETC lighting consoles. (ETC Ion).
- Proficiency in the operation of digital mixing consoles (Yamaha CL5, Allen and Heath GLD, Yamaha PM5D).
- Proficiency in the operation of video switchers and PowerPoint/Keynote presentation software.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: apptrkr.com/3184230
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: stage and technical theatre. States: California.
Please Share the On-Call Stage Technician job: