New York Public Library→ New York, New York, United States
Graphic Designer – Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
The Library’s Communications & Marketing Department is responsible for advancing the Library’s mission and priorities through the promotion of its services, resources, locations, collections, programs, events, and exhibitions to a broad array of audiences and communities, both external and internal. Leveraging both print and digital platforms and channels, the Department positions the Library as a cultural and educational leader and seeks to attract and engage new audiences across New York City and around the world.
The New York Public Library’s Communications & Marketing Department is seeking a Graphic Designer to be responsible for designing primary source curricular materials for a teacher audience, as well as promotional and other materials to support the Library’s new Center for Educators & Schools (CES). CES is an initiative that makes all of the resources of the library accessible and user-friendly for educators and school communities. The Graphic Designer will ensure that CES materials are part of a cohesive and unified content strategy across NYPL that furthers the Library’s mission and strategic priorities while supporting its core messaging and branding goals.
As part of the Communications & Marketing Department’s Creative Services team, the Graphic Designer will work closely with the dedicated Senior Editor for the Center for Educators & Schools (CES), as well as colleagues across the Library’s Communications team to manage content and promotional requirements and the creation and upkeep of content across the Center’s digital and analog materials. Such materials include in-depth curriculums, web pages, social media posts, newsletters, Eventbrite pages, posters, and other internal and external communications. The Graphic Designer will work closely with CES leadership and stakeholders across the library system to ensure that the content strategy synthesizes and supports the needs of various teams within CES.
- Develop a robust suite of educational materials, including in-depth school curricula, in collaboration with the CES Senior Editor and the wider CES team.
- Produce high-quality and effective design solutions for a variety of other CES projects including newsletters, brochures, reports, and more.
- Contribute to efforts to translate CES materials to digital platforms such as websites, e-communications, and social media.
- Develop and design resources available in the online Brand Center as needed.
- Ensure timely production of all projects assigned in the Project Management System; manage production schedules to ensure completion by set deadlines.
- Maintain and advise on brand standards and best practices across all CES communications as appropriate.
- Proactively drive multiple projects from concept through production in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
We are looking for someone we can count on to:
- Learn: Become immersed in the Library’s brand and graphic design style, as well as how to apply them and ensure consistency across all platforms.
- Own: Take ownership of all aspects of CES’s print and online needs—from assessment to development and implementation—in close collaboration with the Senior Editor for CES
- Improve: Optimize the development of all CES design and branding work by establishing efficient workflows and working collaboratively with colleagues across the team
- Teach: Represent the Library’s brand as an ambassador of the design team
Some expectations for this role are that within:
1 month, this person will:
- Initiate design on CES curriculum projects in development.
- Develop workflows for CES content production.
- Learn NYPL’s brand guidelines and best practices.
3 months, this person will:
- Design all-CES related collateral.
- Support CES presentations to internal and external audiences and stakeholders.
- Support greater integration of CES resources into other NYPL promotion campaigns.
6 months and beyond, this person will:
- Lead new CES promotion and other content design projects.
Required Education, Experience & Skills
Required Education & Certifications
- Relevant design degree or diploma
- Relevant design degree or diploma
- 3-5 years of relevant design experience demonstrated through a portfolio of work
- Must include hands-on responsibility for developing print and/or online publications.
- Expert knowledge of design software including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat on a MAC Platform
- Proficient in Google Workspace with knowledge of creating templates in Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Excellent skills in typography and layout, and the ability to lead a project from concept to production.
- Experience designing for a wide variety of print and digital media
- Advanced knowledge of pre-press production, paper specifications, creation of design comps, digital and offset printing processes
- Ability to read curriculum manuscripts and offer creative concepts and design solutions that support learning goals and objectives
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously under deadline pressures
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication and presentation skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to comprehend communications strategy and offer solutions and unique creative concepts that support goals and objectives
- Ability to thrive well in a fast-paced team environment with a proactive approach and a highly responsive work style
- Ability to collaborate with designers and other stakeholders and to project manage publications and collateral to meet tight deadlines
- Strong presentation, organizational, and interpersonal skills; highly professional
- 3-5 years of experience designing in the field of education.
Please Note: Effective August 2, 2021, absent a qualifying exception for medical or religious reasons, newly hired employees of the New York Public Library must present proof of receipt of a COVID-19 vaccination and may not begin employment at the Library until 14 days after their receipt of their second dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or 14 days after their first dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Newly hired employees who need additional time to receive their vaccination prior to their start date may request an adjournment of their start date with their hiring manager. The Library will consider such requests on a case by case basis, depending upon the Library’s operational needs, among other factors. The Library will further consider exemptions for prospective employees who cannot become vaccinated due to a qualifying medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice. Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment and who seek a medical or religious exemption to the Library’s vaccination policy will be provided with additional instructions at the time of the conditional offer.
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Be Welcoming and Inclusive
- Office setting (primarily), with some travel to other NYPL and/or other settings
- May require travel between NYPL locations, or to other relevant New York City destinations.
Pre-Placement Physical Required?
- Regular office hours the majority of the time, but with occasional flexibility needed for evenings or weekends
About The New York Public Library
The New York Public Library is a free provider of education and information for the people of New York and beyond. With 92 locations—including research and branch libraries—throughout the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island, the Library offers free materials, computer access, classes, exhibitions, programming and more to everyone from toddlers to scholars, and has seen record numbers of attendance and circulation in recent years. The New York Public Library serves more than 18 million patrons who come through its doors annually and millions more around the globe who use its resources at www.nypl.org
How to Apply
Please apply online: NYPL job – Graphic Designer
New York Public Library
New York, New York, United States
Job Categories: Library. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: design, graphic design, graphic designer, library, marketing, and NYPL. States: New York.
Please Share the Graphic Designer job: