Part-Time Adult Learning Center Student Mentor
• Department: Adult Learning Centers, ALC
• Job location: Manhattan, New York
• Job type: Hourly
• Job ID: 2018-10166
The Adult Learning Centers (ALCs) are the direct service providers of ESOL and adult literacy instruction for the Library. They use professional teachers to offer free instruction to adult patrons in reading, writing, speaking and listening from a 0 to 8th grade level. Through formal classes in language and literacy, as well as elective offerings such as English conversation and citizenship preparation groups, ALCs have taken on the charge to expand ESOL instruction in the Library.
The Student Mentor works as part of the Intake team that welcomes, orients, assesses and formally registers new students into the program. He/she is responsible for accurate student information collection and data entry. Student Mentors provide basic computer instruction and support for educational activities that are part of the curriculum.
• Assist in the student intake, greet new students, and help direct them through the registration process by signing them in, seating them for the program, acting as translators (if bi-lingual), and making them feel comfortable within a library setting.
• Orients students to using computers, the Internet, and educational software
• Enter data into student tracking database (ASISTS)
• Assist staff in preparing information session materials and event setup (computers, video equipment, room arrangement, etc.)
• Administer standardized assessments for language and literacy (after training) TABE and BestPlus
• Help students fill out forms and collect the data necessary to complete the Individual Student Record Form (ISRF)
• Monitor student attendance at sites by maintaining rosters
• Provide office assistance (photocopying, FAXing, organizing supplies, answering phones, scheduling appointments, checking in/out library materials, etc.)
NYPL Core Values
• High School diploma or its equivalent
• Good interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to work with a culturally diverse adult population
• Successfully demonstrated ability to give clear and concise instructions to a diverse adult population
• Successfully demonstrated computer experience and keyboarding skills
• Successfully demonstrated ability to follow directions and work well independently and as a part of a group
• Successfully demonstrated reliability and flexibility
• Required to travel to other sites for student intake and assessment
• Some college
• Bilingual (Spanish, French, Chinese, Urdu, Bengali, Arabic, Russian)
• Experience training adults in basic computer skills
• Adult Learning Center locations and branch libraries that have adult ESOL classes.
Starting Salary: USD $20.00/Hr.
Hours: 19 hours per week
Union / Non Union: Non Union
How to apply:
Please apply on line:
Search for job ID: 10166
Please Share the Adult Learning Center Student Mentor job: