Multidisciplinary Arts Curator
Contemporary Arts Center
New Orleans, Louisiana
Title: Multidisciplinary Arts Curator
Reports to: Executive Director
Full Job Description
The Multidisciplinary Arts Curator of the Contemporary Arts Center supports the CAC’s mission through the curation of performing and visual arts programming. Emphasis is on the development and presentation of new work with groundbreaking artists that resonate locally and nationally. The Multidisciplinary Arts Curator co-leads the Program Department with the Program Director to create a comprehensive multidisciplinary program, contextualize artistic experimentation, and thoughtfully engage artists, the public, and partners at large with social, civic, and cross-sector issues.
The CAC is seeking this person to be a vital part of our team, someone who is communicative, collaborative, and imaginative; who values the presentation and contextualization of groundbreaking work; who is excited to develop opportunities for artists, to incubate new work, and generate equitable, diverse, and critical spaces where artists can be in dialogue with the broader civic and social spheres; and who is ready to freely and courageously vision a Multidisciplinary future for the Center.
Curation, Planning, and Production
- Curate, plan, and produce an annual/multi-year program of nationally-relevant multidisciplinary contemporary art exhibitions and performances for the Center’s 10,000+ sq ft of dedicated gallery space, black box theater, and auxiliary spaces
- Develop a season of exhibitions, performances, and related programming in collaboration with department staff inclusive of original and traveling exhibitions, performances, visiting curators, and new work commissions.
- Develop and support a series of cross-sector exhibitions, programs, and site-specific projects that engage artists, partners, and audiences with social issues and policy. Planning is underway and funding secured for the presentation of artist work and programming considering carceral justice, healthcare, and the environment.
- Identify and support local/regional artists in the development of social and critically engaged projects that could be expanded to become an exhibition, performance, web-based project, or other site-specific public projects.
- Support the production and presentation of new contemporary work from artists in our region, currently organized around an annual Gulf South Open Call exhibition and Visual/Performing Arts Residencies organized each summer.
- Produce critical writing for presentations and programs, catalogues, brochures, and web-based works
- Co-lead with the Program Director to coordinate, supervise, and support department staff in all artistic, technical, and logistic planning.
- Create, manage and report the annual department budget of around $800,000;
- Identify and develop programming resources, including grants and donor cultivation.
- Collaborate with the Communications Department on strategy and messaging to engage audiences, patrons, supporters, and community partnerships across programs.
- Research and share contemporary and relevant art practices across disciplines.
- Represent the CAC publically alongside institutional colleagues. Serve as a public representative of the CAC’s programs to its trustees, patrons, supporters, and fellow institutions.
- Actively participate in national field networks; grow relationships with partners locally.
Qualities and experiences valued in candidates and as a part of our staff.
- Curatorial and production experience with contemporary visual and performing arts; Experience working across disciplines a plus.
- Familiarity and curiosity with practices across the art disciplines, media, aesthetics, and social experimentation.
- Committed to social justice, racial equity, and artists engaging with social, cultural, civic, and political practices.
- Communicate and engage in discourse relating to these issues.
- Strategic and holistic in work style; adaptive and responsive to audiences and partners.
- A team leader who enjoys collaboration and ideation, but also manages the timeliness of processes and workflow.
- Well attuned, audience considered curatorial and administrative writing skills.
- Excited to grow relationships among local, regional, and national partners, and participate in the life of the city.
- Relation with New Orleans and Gulf South, however, defined.
- Someone who thinks expansively, integrally, and with integrity.
This is a full-time position, reporting to the Executive Director and Co-Lead of the Program Department, with supervisory and management responsibility. Some out of state travel is required. The CAC offers a comprehensive healthcare and benefits package, 403(b) with match, and salary range $55-$70k commensurate with experience and other factors, including pay equity across the organization.
About the Contemporary Arts Center New Orleans:
The CAC is a multidisciplinary arts center that is dedicated to the presentation, production, and promotion of the art of our time. It’s 10,000+ sq ft of dedicated gallery space, black box theater, warehouse, and auxiliary spaces are used for the purpose of presenting and producing curated exhibitions, performances and programs by local, regional, national, and international artists. Founded in 1977 as part of a national Alternative Arts Movement, the CAC is the only dedicated contemporary, multidisciplinary arts space in New Orleans. By supporting dynamic and groundbreaking artistic voices across disciplines we aim to be a touchstone for contemporary art in the region and a partner in conversations about art and equity.
All inquiries and materials will be confidential. Please do not mail hard copies. No phone calls, please
The Contemporary Arts Center values a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and those whose creative and critical interests in this position emerge from the lived experiences of more marginalized communities to apply. The Contemporary Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Multidisciplinary Curatorial: 5 years (Preferred)
- One location
Company’s Facebook page:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Apply on Indeed
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, arts center, curator, curatorial, and exhibition. States: Louisiana.
Please Share the Multidisciplinary Arts Curator job: